Member Array
    Car:
    2016 Honda Jazz

Honda Jazz 2016 manual gear whine off throttle from new, is it normal ?

Just picked up my Sporty Blue new Jazz VTi, it drives and shifts gears nicely and looks lovely, from the dealer I drove out onto a nearby freeway at 80kph and noticed straight away the manual gearbox has a moderate whine when gently backing off, not bad but certainly its more noticeable than my 10yr old Fiesta I just traded or even my daughters 19 yro manual Hyundai Excel.

Is this whine normal, not normal or something that goes away with running in ?

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    New jazz's are shit, buy something else
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    maybe take it back to the dealer, but make sure u can replicate the sound... reminds me of the s2k clutch buzz
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    2016 Honda Jazz
    Update, took it back to the salesman and requested he drive it, while driving he agreed it did have a distinct louder than expected whine especially noticeable when coasting down whether it be in the higher gears or lower gears. We then took a brand new undriven demo for the same blocky and it has the exact same pitch whine at the same points only significantly quieter. He suggested have them check it at the 1000km service or if worried I should take it into the Service department earlier for their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Reasonable outcome. At least he acknowledged it!!

The service guys now need to step up their game
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    2016 Honda Jazz
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    Reasonable outcome. At least he acknowledged it!!

The service guys now need to step up their game
    Guess I can't complain as the Service department mechanic took it for a test drive today, he confirmed he could hear the whine on deceleration though he noticed the whine was both audible also noticeable in all gears when lifting off the accelerator and neutral when rolling down to a rest he thought it was a bit a noisy but said it was within normal range of gears meshing together noise, we only went around the block to their time constraints but he said it may decrease as it wears in and they have noted to take it out for a proper assessment at the 1000km service and to bring it back earlier if the noise increased before then.

Member Array
    Car:
    2016 Honda Jazz
    Update - Finally looks like the issue may be resolved soon, received a call from my Honda dealer to say the new Gearbox for my Jazz has arrived and has been booked in for replacement, fingers crossed this fixes it as the annoying whines pitch increases with speed so my weekly trip to the 'Gong has been like being trapped with a dentists drill, I did ask if the Gearbox and Transaxle were integrated they say they are separate but as they diagnosed the noise is coming from the Gearbox with their microphone tests so that is what they are replacing.

Member Array
    Car:
    2016 Honda Jazz
    Update - 12 months since the manual gearbox was replaced under warranty and thankfully the whine was fixed.
    Last edited by John451; 29-09-2018 at 05:06 AM.