Thread: Kelford 176-B

Kelford 176-B

Hi there - has anybody had any experience with Kelford 176-B cams?

Was looking for a set of cams to buy, and Kelford has really appealed to me. For stage 1 cams these appear to be extremely aggressive and appear to be do-able on stock internals.

They seem really underrated and have hardly been able to find a review though. Has anybody got any information on these or use them? Info is scarce.

Running a jdm itr b18c, are these safe to run on stock internals/compression? Or am I going to need to do some head work? Will be using recommended titanium springs and titanium retainers.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EM1
    Hi mate - I have also been looking at them as I want to upgrade my b16 from ITR cams - Ask your Tuner what cams he suggests for your setup and power goal.
    I gave Kelford a call yesterday for "off vtec lobe specs" - they designed to be the most agro stage 1 for b16/b18 but will need Valve Springs - OEM Valve Springs can only handle 11.6mm max lift. 176-B are 11.8mm on the intake and 11.30mm on ex.
    I have a b16a2 with p30 pistons - 11.1:1 compression. Your JDM ITR should be fine with comp.
    I have a 5 angle valve job aswell - this is optional
    I have OEM Retainers - Upgrade is optional for 9k rpm limit.

Other cams to look at are Skunk2 Pro1 and Toda A2 or Bs - if your tuner knows how to correctly set them via cam card.

The difference I found between the 176-b/Toda A2 vs Pro1/Toda B looks like the Vtec Kick sound - Obviously different cam characteristics and HP/TQ figures.
    I have yet to find dyno figures for Kelford 176B - Even after searching nzhonda.com Honda-tech.com Ozhonda.com
    But can find plenty dynos for all other cams - maybe this tells us something....

As always plenty info has been posted before -
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...Civic-Vtec-CRX

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...96#post3084896

http://honda-tech.com/all-motor-natu...2867349/page2/

Hey man thanks a lot for your input.

I haven't been able to find anything on the cams. They look and sounds awesome, and yeah, more importantly I was impressed by how aggressive they are for stage 1 cams but of course this is because of a 3rd lobe delete it is practically always on vtec (cam profiling wise anyway)

I wish there were more dyno figures and users out there I would love to see what these make. I've barely been able to find any information about them online, and only a couple of youtube videos but there are barely any for N/A application as most seem to be used on turbos and evos.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EM1
    That's why I gave em a call - The Primary "low" cam lobe is a tad larger than our current ITR cams. Its the Secondary "Vtec" Lobe 11.8mm - 254 dur at 1mm. (0.3mm and 11*degrees larger than our ITR cams)
    I wrote down the full specs and will post em tomorrow when I'm back at work.

In essence I think the 176-B is a small stage 2 cam. Because its in need of aftermarket valve springs, where as most typical stage 1 cams do not.

SO the question becomes do we Upgrade our valve springs and waste all that work on a smaller cam (176-B) or go with something Stage 2

I don't think the 176-B will be the magical unicorn of stage 1 cams. By comparing against Skunk2 Stg1 its only 0.2mm and 2*degrees bigger on the intake cam. Maybe 2kw more lets be honest.

Valve springs not necessary for these- (Skunk2 stg1, Toda A, Blox Stg1, Jun Type 1, BC Spec 3+)

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EM1
    176-B Specs
    Primary - Secondary
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	29506

Vtec
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	805 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	29507
    Last edited by Mattee16v; 01-04-2016 at 01:05 PM.

I was primarily interested because of how aggressive they are for "stage 1 cams" but after some research I can see they do have a retainer/spring upgrade requirement which I can see on their website costs about $800 (not sure if normal titanium/upgraded springs will do the trick, although cheaper).

If this is the case stage 2 cams is probably the way to go but I loved how aggressive they are for stage 1 cams.

I'm gonna need to do a bit more research - I'll PM you anything new I find might end up being the first ever to post some dyno specs with it haha

Thanks for the links to those threads btw, heaps helpful! Have bookmarked them and will be looking through them.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EM1
    I tracked this guy down on facebook and asked how much power his EG made using 176B - Still waiting for reply.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Alexgpope

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EM1
    If you look at the vtec lobe specs of 176b vs 176c they are pretty close.
    Heres His reply:

Hey dude. I was running the c cams (176c i think?) and i made 190hp on 101 motorsports dyno. 2l bottom end and stock port itr head. Was a really flat power curve with no noticable vtec crossover. It was great on the track but it was a dog on the street. The off vtec lobes are way bigger than factory so the idle is very cammy and aggressive. It really depends what you are after, you really need a high comp setup and head port work to make the most of them. My setup is about 12:1, to make them really work i would have needed to port the head but i didnt want to go down that path. Ended up putting toda a2 cams in, lost a bit of low end but got the drivability back. The kelford cams are good in a race application though, i know of a race car with a 2l bottom end and a ported head which makes 220-230atw

Member Array
    Car:
    K24 FD2
    JDMYARD are Kelford Australia Distributors, 176-B In Stock

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    pm lolmclol

he is the unofficial australian distributor of kelford
    SSpamily