Newcomer Array
    Car:
    none

Oil in Air Filter

Hi guys,

I removed the air filter to inspect, and noticed it looked like in some areas, it had a slight buildup / deposit of oily/dirty substance on it. I also noticed that a small tube, maybe 1" wide, also has a little bit of liquid, somewhat oily, in it too.. just wondering, is it possible to be anything else? and if it is oil, how does this occur ?

The car is an 05' CRV with 143k (89k miles) on the odometer

Some others said it's possibly the PCV Valve, so ill check that out asap. I rang HONDA today just to get a price in-case the PCV Valve was faulty ... $67.30!! Being HONDA though, I'm sure it can be sourced cheaper else where .. but where? Anyone know of any places where you can buy PCV Valves ?

I was also quoted $66.55 for a HONDA air filter.. so yeh.. quite expensive .. RYCO are around $45.. which still seems $$ .. wondering if there's cheaper alternatives that still perform well ?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Yep sounds like a PCV issue as for the price just go to the magical free parts store.

or eBay or repco or autopro or supercheap or bursons or autobahn etc etc

I acctually have no idea if the above will stock them but I imagine fuelmiser or the like will have a listing and should be able to order it in, be sure they quote you freight inclusively as some places like to stick you with it at the register.
    Last edited by Daveho1; 09-04-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    It's not unusual to have a small amount of oil residue in the intake tube since the valve cover breather tube goes directly into it. A PCV valve usually runs back to the intake manifold.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    none
    Thanks for the replies,

Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    Yep sounds like a PCV issue as for the price just go to the magical free parts store.
    Where can one find this Magical free parts store?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    or eBay or repco or autopro or supercheap or bursons or autobahn etc etc

I actually have no idea if the above will stock them but I imagine fuelmiser or the like will have a listing and should be able to order it in, be sure they quote you freight inclusively as some places like to stick you with it at the register.
    I checked REPCO today, they don;'t stock it. I'll try a couple other stores, see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9
    It's not unusual to have a small amount of oil residue in the intake tube since the valve cover breather tube goes directly into it. A PCV valve usually runs back to the intake manifold.
    Yep, saw a little in the tube and I removed the tube from the PCV Valve, there was a little oil in the valve.. though I haven't had a chance to remove the valve completely .. it's in a really awkward position where it seems i'll have to move the power steering pump out of the way to access the PCV with a spanner

I was considering loosing the bolts holding the Power steer pump in place and just flip the pump up (using top bolt as a hinge) rather than removing completely .. though really not sure how to go about re-tensioing the belt when re-installing ... tips ?

Thansk again

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    as above, nothing to worry about

You can try other brands to see if you can get a cheaper filter, like Cooper ect. Personally i'd just chuck a Ryco in and be done with it.

Edit^ Are you using excessive oil? If not seriously, don't worry about it
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    as above, nothing to worry about

You can try other brands to see if you can get a cheaper filter, like Cooper ect. Personally i'd just chuck a Ryco in and be done with it.

Edit^ Are you using excessive oil? If not seriously, don't worry about it
    Thanks u mad . Might call up Autobarn see what they stock.. I think they usually stock coopers, don't they? As for RYCO, I find their products for Honda more costly .. $50 from supercheap .. I was considering just getting a filter from 'Brintech' on ebay.. used one in my dads Rodeo .. still going, though haven't inspected it since installing.

As for oil, do you mean putting too much in, or burning oil?

Not sure about previous owner. I bought the car back in mid-January, ended up changing the oil in feb/march sure to hole in oil filter.. used Nulon 5w-30, filled 'till stick read full.. might actually check the oil, just in-case.