Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do I do with a poorly serviced 2006 VTI Auto?

I've been gifted a Honda Jazz 2006 VTI Auto, I think MY06, possibly MY05.

The exterior is largely fine. It's got a couple of tiny dings, a rear light that needs the cover replaced and a little bit of paint scrape on one rear corner. The interior is largely fine too but the driver foot well needs to be re-upholstered. The passenger front window rubber seal needs replacing. The battery is new and the tyres are near the end of their usefulness but not too bad. The wipers are original and aren't terrible but could be much better. AC works well.

That's the good news. All of the good news.

It only had one owner from new and has traveled 160,000km. But it's been rarely serviced and the last documented service I found was 2.5 years and 42,000km ago. I can find evidence of a grand total of 8 services in it's lifetime including the first 1,000km inspection. The engine oil appears to have been done regularly. The oil filter and spark plugs were replaced at 110,000, 3 years ago. I'm told the coolant was changed then too but I can't find any evidence of that. The last brake fluid replacement was 107,000km/7 years ago. There was some work done on the rear tyre mount points (???) about 2 years ago but I don't have documentation on that, just word of mouth.

I don't think the transmission or brake fluids have ever been touched. This car has had the shudder on acceleration issue that google tells me is common since day dot. Honda convinced the owner it was totally normal.

The car drives mostly OK but it pretty regularly feels like the transmission is slipping. Although maybe the cylinders aren't firing properly. It's like a hiccup in power/engine response. Not every time you drive but regularly. It has hiccup-like drops to revs when idling too (not showing on the tacho, just the sound/feel).

I imagine it needs flushed transmission fluid, oil change, new oil filter, new brake fluid, new coolant, new air cleaner element, new spark plugs, new tyres, new fuel filter, new passenger window seal, new wipers... then maybe new light cover and some light panel beating. On top of that it'll need them to generally look at everything and spot problems I don't even know about and then pay to have them fixed.

I am not a car guy. I can change the tyres and wipers and top up the fluids (not replace/flush) but that's it.

It looks like it's going to cost me a lot. Thousands. With no guarantee that enough damage hasn't already been done to seriously shorten the car's life/usefulness. No guarantee the acceleration shudder will go away.

The car would be worth ~$6k if it was in good condition with a good service history but it isn't and it hasn't. So maybe $3k? Maybe.

So my question is - should I bother fixing this up? What are my options here?

Member Array
    Car:
    G6E turbo
    Try to detail it well,get it cosmetically clean and list for 5k. Play dumb about it and hope someone buys
    FFamily

How could anyone miss the acceleration shudder and transmission slips?

More importantly I'm bad at lying, even by omission. I'll cop a lower price if that's all it's worth. What the hell is it worth?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GD VTI-S
    Hey mate, so im guessing you brought this car recently?

If so the common problems on this car is the CVT on the automatic, coil packs and wheel hubs.

For a 10 year old car it is expected to have all these minor things though logbooks are not a big deal unless the next owner is very fussy with service history.

The shuddering/ hiccups your talking about would be the coil packs as it is a very common problem.

The items you have listed such as all fluid changes, spark plugs etc are very easy to do, i can help you out with that.

and lastly you do not want to sell the car as is without letting the potential buyer know as karma is a bitch

let me know how you go.

Hey man, if you think you can talk me through fixing it up without dropping a packet I'd be incredibly grateful.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GD VTI-S
    all good, check your inbox.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    while changing coilpacks could fix your shuddering problem, it would be naive to look past engine mounts and the weak CVT gearbox.

and if you want to sell... sell it to me!

Let's assume I'm committing to try and fix her up.

What can I do about the engine mounts and gearbox?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GD VTI-S
    any progress on this?

I've been ignoring the problem and using a lack of an oil filter wrench as an excuse to put if off. I'd ordered one but it never came. Just followed up on it. Turns out the place I ordered from forgot to send it and with a reminder are now sending it. So I'll do the oil change as soon as it arrives.

You recommended using a grip cloth instead but I couldn't figure out what the hell that was no matter how much I googled.

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 EG Si
    You don't need an oil filter wrench. If you can't use your hands, wrap sandpaper around.
    Currently officially unofficially Ozhonda's vinyl sticker distributor:
    1 Small 150 x 29mm: $6 posted
    1 Large 250 x 43mm: $8 posted

IG: thenameis3k9

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GD VTI-S
    Guess the procrastination got the better of you lol.
    I use this:
    http://www.rehabmart.com/product/grip-rolls-2302.html
    U can find it almost anywhere here in sydney maybe not up there?