Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Accord Euro CL9 Console Backlights Dark but CD Display WORKING

As attached, I have a 2003 Accord Euro on which the CD display backlight WORKS but the console button backlights are dark. The green lights above the buttons do work - it's just the backlights on the buttons that are out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	accord.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	29692

I've done a lot of searching but can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question:

Is this the same problem as where the CD display AND console / AC backlights are dark? Which can be fixed with this tutorial and similar ones like it by bypassing a failed resistor: http://www.diyfactory.org/cinFTHoWJI...-Tutorial.html

Or is this a separate issue altogether? I don't want to go to the trouble and risk of attempting the repair above if it is a totally different issue

Thanks in advance!

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    should come on when you turn on your headlights?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRox22 View Post
    should come on when you turn on your headlights?
    They don't go on. Photo is with headlights on. The other thing is that the Radio display backlight that IS on does not dim when the headlights are turned on.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by futsal View Post
    They don't go on. Photo is with headlights on. The other thing is that the Radio display backlight that IS on does not dim when the headlights are turned on.
    might have been a silly question but no headlight indicator or dimming of the dashboard is related, had to double check.....
    the headlights do still work fine?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRox22 View Post
    might have been a silly question but no headlight indicator or dimming of the dashboard is related, had to double check.....
    the headlights do still work fine?
    Yeah headlights work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by futsal View Post
    Yeah headlights work fine.
    Silly question, but have you checked fuses?
    Honda seems to have separate fuses for a lot of things (i.e. fuse for each headlight, parker, fog etc).
    Paul // 05 Euro Luxury // Perth // My other car's an S15

Quote Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
    Silly question, but have you checked fuses?
    Honda seems to have separate fuses for a lot of things (i.e. fuse for each headlight, parker, fog etc).
    I haven't to be honest. I might send this past Honda to have a look at fuses but have been told that this is to do with the front panel itself or the radio PCB, which is consistent with what is on many websites/user experiences.

Honda checked the fuses - no issue.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    theres an internal fuse or capacitor that tend to blow up. theres a thread about fixing that in the forum somewhere, but that woudl require taking it apart and soldering.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Common problem with early CL9's. Unfortunately, the one of the components on the circuit board that drives your radio/display backlight has burnt out. If you pull the console out and disassemble to remove the board and have some soldering skills, you can repair it.
    DIY here:
    http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...tml#post904925
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    If you cannot buy the components from Jaycar, Rs components or element 14 (was Farnell) should have it. Rs components do free delivery with no minimum purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Common problem with early CL9's. Unfortunately, the one of the components on the circuit board that drives your radio/display backlight has burnt out. If you pull the console out and disassemble to remove the board and have some soldering skills, you can repair it.
    DIY here:
    http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...tml#post904925
    Thanks for the reply. Am aware of the problem you are referring to, but everything I find online does not definitively tell me whether my problem is the same one or not - remember that my radio backlight IS working but the HVAC backlights are dark. I know that the problem with "dark everything" appears to be a blown resistor on the stereo PCB, but want to know (before going to that extreme) whether it would solve my problems.

Thanks for the link above. This is one of the posts on that page:

Hello had the same issue with the bottom climate controls not lighting up but radio light etc work.

I bought the transistor and Ive never soldered on a pcb board so I had a friend do it. It looks like the transistor is in there pretty good, but when I plugged everything back in, it didnt fix it and now all the lights are out not just my climate control.

I do remember him saying when he removed the old transistor 2 of the "contact rings" came out , but he just put another drop of solder on to hold it...My other buddy is gonna give it another shot I have 2 extra transistors to try just in case.

Hopefully we can get it to work otherwise I might be buying a new board.
    Seems like this person ended up worse off trying the repair from a similar starting position to myself. Makes me think I won't bother unless everything goes dark because I can't say for sure a "repair" wouldn't leave me completely in the dark like this poster.