Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dash Cluster illumination poor

Hi all,
    I have a white dial cluster from a JDM EG civic which has poor illumination. I have changed the bulbs to LED bulbs in the hope it would help but doesn't look much different.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to brighten it up?

do you have a "dashlight brightness adjuster" (dimmer switch)
    This maybe required with that particular cluster and it may be sitting on the lowest setting.

It is fitted to my mini which doesn't have an adjuster. Is there a way I can adjust it to a higher setting permanently?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    could probably wire one up and tuck it behind out of sight

would be cheap from wreckers anyway to test

True. I was hoping not to have another adhoc wiring loom behind the dash.

Here is a DIY i wrote 10 years ago about almost the same issue. It might help you if you can trace back the same coloured wires etc.

Ok according to google the EG6 cluster didnt come with a dimmer - and you CAN rewire one in giving you a brighter cluster

http://civic-eg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=19474

My EG harness only has the black/red wire. No red or black. Thanks for the ideas but Your DIY practically bypasses the dimmer which means the Custer is getting a full 12v to it. Mine is doing this already and it is still dull. See below. the EG civic dimmer controller has a resistor built in to dim it. I didn't think a resistor increases the power.

Just trying to help. I did do that years ago and thought it might give you some insights.
    More googling tells me EG6 clusters generally have poor illumination - can I suggest looking at changing the bulbs themselves to a more powerful variant / retrofit a LED strip hidden around the cluster or even grab a standard civic cluster and fit a white dial to it , giving a similar effect (except not 180km/h JDM )

Thanks for the help. Sorry if it came across as in grateful. Not intended too.
    I have LED bulbs in it now but the idea of an LED strip around each dial sound good. I'll look into this.

I'm sure you can poke the LED strip in a way to give illumination and also be hidden. Be sure to write it up and post it for the DIY kids here