Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 CL9

07 CL9 tyre psi?

Hi guys,
    Have had my CL9 07 euro for nearly 6 months now.
    When I first picked it up i stuck with the manufactory suggested psi located on the plaque on the drivers door which is 32F/30R. The front looked flat (probably due to the heavy engine bay) so I increased it up a notch to 39F//38R.
    The front still looks flat-ish and it looks like it could do with more psi.
    No it's not leaking air if that's what you're wondering.

I have Bridgestone Turanza all round 225/45/17.
    On the tyres it says not to inflate more than 40psi.

Just wondering what's the max PSI i can inflate the tyres to, without it not bursting on me?

I understand the more air in the tyres the more bumpier on the road, but I don't mind, I prefer fuel efficiency > less bumpy driving.
    Last edited by CL9_euro; 01-08-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 7th Gen
    all cars will have a flatter looking front tyre due to (correct assumption) the weight in the front vs the rear. This is even more pronounced in front wheel drive cars as the whole engine, gear box and drive train is over the front wheels.

DO NOT RAISE YOUR TYRE PRESSURES LIKE THIS. The tyres will become more likely to lose traction and/or have a loss of control situation because the car's handling will become worse and also not work how the traction and stability control programs are expecting it to.
    Put them back to the pressure noted in the door panel. This is what the car (and tyres) were designed to run at. Dont worry about the way the tyres look. If they are at the right pressure then everything is ok.

The only variation on this is if you put aftermarket rims on with lower profile tyres (say a 235/35/19). These are usually required to be run at a higher pressure (35-38psi).

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Some tyres just have soft sidewalls so it'll look like that.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    That's a really low max....

All of my tyres have at least had a 50psi cold max or 60psi max.... could be because they are more comfort + touring tyres with soft sidewalls

keep them around 35psi and get something else more suited to your driving style when they need changing

My fronts are 42psi F and 40psi R... preferred that pressure in all of my previous tyres

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 7th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewRox22 View Post

All of my tyres have at least had a 50psi cold max or 60psi max....
    do you mean you drove on this?! or were just testing the tyres for holding pressure?

these accords are light cars. there is no need for high pressures. there are specific pressures noted on the vehicle for a reason and the tyre manufacturers have designed their tyres to work with this normal range too.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by jjman View Post
    do you mean you drove on this?! or were just testing the tyres for holding pressure?

these accords are light cars. there is no need for high pressures. there are specific pressures noted on the vehicle for a reason and the tyre manufacturers have designed their tyres to work with this normal range too.
    no, i was replying to the max pressures stamped on the current tyres,

in terms of the pressures recommended on the door, they always recommend a number in the middle of the comfort, noise and performance....

putting them higher will give you better life and handling at the cost of noise and comfort which I am fine with...

as I have said, i put them to 42/40 and check them monthly, they usually drop to around 38 by then

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    38 to 40 is where I keep mine.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 7th Gen
    i think you will find that you will be reducing your handling/grip across most, if not all situations, with higher pressures. especially that high (40psi+ range).

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by jjman View Post
    i think you will find that you will be reducing your handling/grip across most, if not all situations, with higher pressures. especially that high (40psi+ range).
    defensive driving courses, i have been told actually recommends people to put tyres to 40psi for better steering response....

I have played with it and prefer those pressures... never had an issue with handling or grip when I had my performances

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I don't think there is a right or wrong pressure if we keep it between 28 to 40 psi. It is a personal preference between comfort, fuel economy, grip and steering response. Lower pressure yield a more comfortable ride and because of the greater contact area to the road, gives grip. With higher pressure because of its reduced contact area gives better fuel economy and because the tyre is not soft (more rigid), will give a better steering response (tyre not mushy).
    I do 36 front and 34 rear (less weight at the rear).

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    For the 17", a tyre pressure of 32 psi for comfort, or 36 for slightly better fuel economy is good.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2