Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT

[CU2] Oil consumptions issues

Hey Guys,

I have an accord Euro 2008 model CU2 Auto which we bought second hand about a year ago. the car has 140K on the clock and I'm constantly having to top up the oil in the car. I know form reading through some of the threads already posted that this is a common issue for these cars. I'm having to top up about 300-500ml every 1000km. The car runs fine and I cant see any smoke being blown out the back. I have noticed though that the exhaust tips have a lot of black residue on inside of them.. probably more so than most other car exhausts I've seen. My question I suppose is, what options do I have currently ? should I just keep driving and topping up oil ? I don't mind doing that really as its not a huge expense. or do I try and get the problem fixed (I assume this will cost big $$$) or just sell the car and move on before things get worse ? I was hoping to keep this car long term but not so sure any more ! Any advice would be appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Maybe you could try liqui Molly mos2 additive. Its relatively cheap at repco or super cheap.
    My friends diesel outback had oil dilution problem. Fuel is getting through the piston. This additive helped significantly.
    Liqui Molly Ceratec is better but more expensive. Its suppose to put thin layer of boron (anti friction).

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    The fix is an engine rebuild......

The Honda service notice in the US asks for replacement piston and piston rings to fix the oil issue.

Give this a read
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-burning-claim
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord euro 2003 MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    The fix is an engine rebuild......

The Honda service notice in the US asks for replacement piston and piston rings to fix the oil issue.

Give this a read
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-burning-claim
    Just read the Honda fix. It specifically says it excludes 4 cylinder engines ? is it a different issue with the 4 cylinder engines ? or are they just refusing to fix them ? So assuming I'm not willing to spend thousands of dollars to rebuild this engine... am I going to have any issues if I keep driving the way it is now ? just top up oil every couple of thousand km ? I mean I assume this car has been going since early on its life with the high oil consumption and its got about 140K on the clock now, is there any reason to think it wouldn't keep going another 100K as it is ? or should I expect things to get worse over time ?

Again any more advice would be greatly appreciated

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    All you can do is to reduce the oil consumption by using additives or thicker oil (maybe 10w-40). I would use additive first as the thicker oil is not the recommended weight.
    You still need to top up the oil and may need to do additional servicing to do with oil consumption issue. This may include replacing the spark plugs more frequently and also clean the combustion chamber with foaming cleaner (nulon or Subaru). If you do this, car should be OK for a while.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux MY13
    Hi Mate

I have read articles about complaints of excessive oil consumption in earlier CU2's - I don't believe it's uncommon.

There's a thread dedicated to it, if you haven't read it already: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...sumption/page5

In the US, CU2's are branded under Honda's luxury arm Acura where they're sold as the TSX. Like Australian delivered CU2's, they're manufactured in Japan and use the K24 engine. In the US, Acura recommends 0w-20 oil. Personally I feel that's a bit thin, but it might explain why google turns up a heap of oil consumption threads on that model.

From what I understand your consumption is within normal tolerances (according to Honda Australia), but most people will agree it's abnormal and therefore excessive. 140k isn't a lot. What's the service history like? Do you know what sort of oil you're running?

As Martin77 has suggested, I'd start with a higher viscosity oil like a 5w-40 or a 10w-40 to see if it makes a difference - I wouldn't recommend anything more than a 40 weight, I think 50 would be too thick for that engine. Find something at least semi-synthetic, but full synthetic would be better.

I don't have any experience with the oil additives - I did a bit of research and they seem to be marketed as a product that reduces friction and engine wear. Sounds alright if it works, but you can buy oils designed to slow oil consumption. They're usually your "higher mileage" formulas and can be found in any auto store. Careful of the weight though. Mobil does one in multiple grades - 5w-20, 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40. Again, I'd stick with the latter but wouldn't go any thicker.

If that doesn't fix it and it still bothers you, unfortunately as Fredoops suggested, you'd be looking at a rebuild which would be quite expensive. Might be cheaper to pick up a newer, low km engine from a wrecker. These cars were built up to 2015 so that'll work in your favour.

Yell out if you have any more questions, otherwise good luck and keep us posted.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Liqui Moly mos2 is anti friction additive which should make our car run smoother (a good thing). If it can reduce oil consumption through the rings its a bonus. Some people mentioned about this below. If it does its a bonus.
    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/3110753/4

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Moly and ZDDP are the only oil additive I'd use.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars