Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC2R Brake Conversion on EK1 GLI

Hi guys,

In a huge dilemma - have recently purchased a set of 4x100 282mm rotors with the kit to go for a dc2r front brake upgrade for my civic, but am not sure about clearance on my wheels.

Currently I am running OG Sans Axis 15x8 +25 offset 4x100 - these wheels have a 3 inch dish (unfortunately I got them with the car so no real say in it).

I have a set of DC2R calipers I'm going to install on the new 282mm rotors, which will be spaced with a 3mm rotor spacer.

At the current stage, my current, stock standard calipers seem to have about 2 or 3mm max clearance between the closest point to the wheel and the wheel itself. Currently trying to get ready for a track day and am on a bit of a budget and am well behind on work that needs to be done so I am really trying to avoid needing to buy new wheels - I've also recently just had them wrapped with new federal rsr semi slicks so if I can avoid needing to sell them I'd really prefer to.

My main question is - 1 - is there anyone on here who has actually done the conversion with these wheels, and did they bump into any troubles - and 2 - does anybody here know the exact dimensions of the standard EK1 GLI caliper vs DC2R 98' spec front calipers. I would be happy to use a 5mm spacer if required, but would prefer not to as my wheels will poke outside the guards if they space - currently pretty much perfectly in line with the guard and I'd prefer to keep it that way. If I can get it to work with the spacer I'll get it.

Does anybody know if the DC2R calipers in general are bigger than stock standard GLI civics? Visually they do not look a whole lot bigger.

Thanks for the help.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Mid 96 honda changed the caliper on the ek1 civic to a slightly bigger one.May have been August,from the akebono to the sumotomo caliper.. So check the build date of the car.

You will probably just have to try it out.

Sedan ? Gil has 262mm front discs , as do EK4s and EM1s.
    The DC2R (98+) is 282mm , and you can use your standard knuckle and simply use the dc2r caliper and 282mm rotor drilled in 4x100

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    The DC2R (98+) is 282mm , and you can use your standard knuckle and simply use the dc2r caliper and 282mm rotor drilled in 4x100
    If you use the dc2r rotor redrilled he will need the spacer as he mentioned or mill the caliper bracket 2.5mm to have the correct offset. Otherwise you need to use the Mini Cooper rotor in 4x100 which has the right offset.

As for the clearance issues, you are just going to have to try it. I don't think anyone else will jump on here in a hurry with those exact wheel and caliper combo to confirm. It's pretty quick to bolt on the caliper and check wheel clearance anyway.

Jack the car up, remove 1 front wheel, unbolt standard caliper (leave the hose attached, just push the caliper out of the way). Bolt on dc2r caliper (no pads needed for this) and refit the wheel. You'll soon see whether there's a clearance problem.

I have that conversion and have had several different sets of 15" wheels fit fine.

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies - it is a 97 ek GLI HATCH

I am using 282mm rotors redrilled 4x100

I could buy 5mm spacers and hopefully that'll give me the clearance I need but I'm trying to avoid spacing out anymore as I will poke out a bit.

Unfortunately I don't have the know how on how to unbolt the caliper and I'd prefer not to touch my brakes if I'm not 100% certain so I'll definitely be taking it to a shop. Just wanted to be prepared before I took it to the shop as to hopefully not get there and realise it won't work.

I guess I've answered my own question though it'll need to be test fitted.

I'm hoping with a bit of modification I'll be able to make it work

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    what state are you in,maybe benjjamin can assist for a 2 piece feed

This job is about as simple as it gets, once the wheel is off it is only 2 bolts to remove the caliper.

If this is going to be a hobby then definitely learn, this is an easy way to save cash on paying workshops for simple stuff. Labour isn't cheap and you can spend that cash on more mods.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    rc is spot on man.Gotta start somewhere.

I understand it can be better to have help at first but truthfully you can't mess this up.I stayed away from the brakes for a while but after I got in and had a go/learnt,it was/is surprisingly simple.

U can't put a price on that knowledge ekr.

Everyone on here either has the knowledge/the known how or wants to know.

The difference is confidence. U got the car to learn. I promise u won't regret it.

CIVIC - Built by U . What could be better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    minimum 3 piece plus chicken bites combo

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    NSW! Would be happy to oblige hahahha

Thanks for all the advise guys

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4lyf
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    really? i tho u had to use minimum dc2 vti-r hubs la?
    CEE CEE DUB U