Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo

Cv Boot tightening without special tool

Just wondeting if anyone has tightened the clamps on the CV boots without using the special tool?

I reckon I could get it tight with a home made support and a cotter pin but I'm wondering if anyone else has other methods that could be useful?

I'm not a cheap skate on the tool, just can't get to the shops before the weekend

Member Array
    Car:
    G6E turbo
    sardine or tuna can key

John west is best
    FFamily

I have one of the tools somewhere. Located Gold coast

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    use the tool, dont want it coming off while driving
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    i've used needle nose plyers in the past, wrapped it around then folded it over

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    I managed to get a tool on my way home, very happy I got it. I would have struggled big time with out it. I dont understand why you can't just put a standard hose clamp on. Got so many special tools now

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    ^ probably more to do with balance and potential damage to the boot from overtightening

another hint

after you have the boot nice n tight

Run a smear of ultra grey or similar gasket seal around the edge of the boot to joint area. This helps aftermarket boots or crap ties hold the boot on

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    Good tip thank you!

Just went through changing the clutch for the weekend, its the first time ive ever removed the gear box. I was very careful to do it right, went to start the car and it just wont start.
    Apparently the flywheel has to line up with a point on the crank shaft, checked the book and its there telling you to line it up in one sentence with no picture.
    So upset i missed it, have to drop the box again......... lol good lesson learnt.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    didn't think the flywheel was keyed? does it crank at all?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    I dont think it is keyed, it has some holes that are supposed to line up maybe.
    Im not 100% sure but i googled why people had problems starting their car after changing the clutch and it comes up with heaps of results of people not lining the flywheel up with the crank shaft.
    Its supposed to have something to do with the timing, theres a sensor that picks up if the flywheel is aligned.

Not sure what else could be wrong, ive put everything back properly, i tried to be very thorough.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 Turbo
    it does crank, sounds like its going to start but just doesnt. It does sound like i would expect it to sound with a timing problem.