Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18C Leyland Mini

New engine on 'old' gearbox - What do I replace? Timing belt and...

Preamble - So a few years ago I cooked my B18C7 when the bottom radiator hose-clamp broke mid-drive. Once it cooled down I replaced the fluids etc & it still worked. Yay!
    Later on I changed the final drive on the 'box & it had a gearbox leak for some time. Finally got that fixed when bad electrical things happened & I had to do all sorts of stuff to the engine, including changing the engine management from EMS to Hondata & new distributor. When roughly tuning it & trying to work out what was causing the mild whitish-grey smoke from the exhaust, the head-gasket blew in a big way - Billowing white smoke. Well that was the answer! Given that I knew it was already cooked, it was time for a new long block & strip what I could from the engine as spares!

Present - I have a 2nd hand B18C7 long block (110,000km old) ready to connect to the almost brand-new gearbox.
    I'll put a new timing belt on at the same time, but is there anything else I should be replacing now since the engine & box will be out of the car?
    I was happy with the standard clutch, & don't want to upgrade it as my modified pedals mean that the clutch pedal action is pretty heavy anyway. The car is so light I break tyre traction well before upsetting the clutch.
    Can you guys think of anything else I should be fixing/replacing now? Once it's back in the car there is no room to work on the engine. Even getting to the alternator to adjust the belt is a struggle, with skinned knuckles as a result.

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    Rear main seal.

Everything else should be fairly easy to do when the car is on, but typically the following seals fail:
    Vtec solenoid
    cam seal
    oil cooler seal (if the b18 has one).
    thermostat may be worth doing too
    possibly other things you do with a timing belt, like a water pump etc

possibly fuel filter depending on where it is as well
    Last edited by Dxs; 18-10-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Crank pulley seal,should be done with timing belt anyways. .

Oxygen sensor,it's important.They only last 100,000k's max because of all the heat cycles .Car runs rough when incorrect readings are sent to the ecu.

It sounds sweet man.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18C Leyland Mini
    OK, thanks guys.
    Can't wait for the little beast to be back on the road!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Latest - Resized.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	29867

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    coolo,

it is generally a lot cheaper to buy genuine seals online from USA or japan.. oemacuraparts or amamya