Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

[CL9] park brake adjustment

Hi,

I just replaced my rear brake pads and found that the parking brake does not bite the same as it used to.
    Can anyone please advise the proper way to adjust parking brake after a rear brake pad change?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    There is an adjustment nut near the hand brake under the centre console.
    I removed the centre console by firstly removing the auto transmission plastic trim then I removed the cup holder by pulling it straight up. Please be careful pulling it as the plastic trim is not very strong (I noticed a crack on the transmission trip (by previous mechanics I'm assuming). I then removed 4 black screws near the transmission area. I then removed 2 zinc screws in the centre console compartment (this is covered by rubber sheet so I can't see it initially). I then lifted the back centre console to unclip the front clips.
    I jacked up the car and rest it on jack stand to allow for the wheels to be rotated. With the hand brake off, I spun the wheels to get a feel of its resistance. I then operated the hand brake to the first click and adjusted the but to get additional resistance ( I thin it was one full rotation with medium force, I know this is not exact science). I then released the hand brake to ensure I have little resistance. Once happy with it I checked the hand brake to ensure full engagement between 6-9 clicks (mine about 7). That's how I did it today.

Next time: instead of removing the whole centre console, I might try removing the back centre console section only (I noticed 2 plastic screws on either side). And with the adjustment maybe I don't need to jack the car up to rotate the wheels. Maybe I just adjust the nut for full engagement between 6 to 9 clicks. I'm sure this is how the mechanics would do it to save some time.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    You will have to bed in your new brake pads. Also depends on your brake pad type. Usually when you change to new pads and don't adjust the parking brake cable, the rear brakes will be engaged all the time. So whatever adjustment you can do with the parking brake, it won't increase the bite.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Thanks for that.
    I thought what you said would have been right but my hand brake felt a little looser when I changed the pads. It doesn't make sense.
    I don't quiet understand how the piston works as I need to screw (not just push) it in (related to the hand brake) to allow for the new pads.
    The rear brake itself is good. Yeah I need no do more bedding. Its hard to do it on the way to work in the not so quiet motorway.
    Its qfm hpx pads.