Question B16 gearbox housings - don't swap the halves? (YSK-1 bottom half and YSK-2 top half)

Hi ppl

I am probably finding this out the hard way now but I believe I read somewhere earlier today that whilst B series gearboxes generally hook up with B series motors, you should not swap the gearbox casing halves between them.

Due to a gearbox casing with broken engine mount points, I had obtained a replacement gearbox top half believing they were similar however when attempting to fit it in place of the original, I noticed it refused to mate. Upon further checking, the original gearbox top half casing had YSK-1 stamped on it but the replacement half I got had YSK-2 on it.

Just wondering if ppl with knowledge know whether they are compatible or not ... given they are made of aluminum, I didn't want to tighten the bolts further to force a fit if there was something in the way preventing this from happening.

Welcome any thoughts. I may just source a complete gearbox at this rate but I seem to have a lot of difficulty sourcing them from local wreckers.

Last edited by Dodgy Haro; 10-12-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I think you mean Y1 and Y2.

The only difference in between them box's are Final Drive and the Y1 depending on the donor may have had a LSD.

Easy way to tell if LSD came in your box it will be stamped.

"Determining whether or not a transmission has LSD is very simple, just look into the differential and see if its opened or closed. For those not familiar with this, you'll either see a set of gears that form a closed cylinder, or you'll see an open differential with a bar splitting the middle."

Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    I think you mean Y1 and Y2. "[/I]
    Thanks - I just had another look - the stamp actually reads YSK-1 and YSK-2 ... I'll amend the title for that.

I'll give it another go at attaching tomorrow ... I might have done a noob mistake by not elevating the bottom of the gearbox on the floor which might have prevented the shaft from dropping down fully and lowering the case.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Yea i think you have to mod to make fit.

One is for a hydro box and other is a cable box.

As per google. Google is great for Honda life.
    Last edited by amant02; 11-12-2016 at 05:58 AM.