Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL

CU2 Major Service done - Minor pinging gone!

Just done my major service 2 weeks ago.

Changed the following:
    - OEM NGK iridium sparks
    - OEM transmission oil
    - Engine oil (Valvoline 10w-30)
    - OEM oil filter
    - Nulon One Coolant
    - Air filter
    - Cabin filter

One thing i noticed this time was that this particular service made a noticeable difference! For me anyway.
    There was a slight ping under heavy load (as we all know for CU2's) that didn't really bother me. However after this service it has completely gone!!
    The engine is much smoother and revs better.

I am thinking 100,000kms for the spark plugs is too long maybe.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the motor oil because i used the same oil and filter last change.
    I doubt it's the air filter because i have changed that before and didn't notice any difference (it's never that dirty when i change it anyway).
    No change to 95 ron fuel used too.

So i am glad the car is even better than it was. As you all know, even after so many years. I still love my CU2!

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    Apologies, I was meant to post this in the Accord Euro section..

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    The spark plug should last at least 100,000 km. Did you measure the gap of the old spark plug?
    Maybe its a combination of some of the things you changed that makes the engine better.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    I think the cabin filter was the problem here.
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    Agree it could have been a combination of the other things done. Checked the gap on the old sparks and they were all fine. Ie. 1.1mm

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I'm surprised that there is minimal/not noticable wear on the spark plug after 100,000 km.
    I put denso iridium spark plug (ik20) on my brothers corolla 40,000 km ago and noticed that the gap is now 1.3 (instead of 1.1) mm. I haven't changed it yet as I'm not sure the gap i should change it (maybe wait until its running rough or maybe another 10 k). Yes this denso iridium is not design for longetivity as the ground does not have platinum/iridium and the iridium electrode is only 0.4 mm (NGK is 0.6 mm) in diameter.
    Last edited by Martin77; 31-12-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    A tiny bit more air, less carbon build up, a slightly cooler engine, a slightly cooler spark and a plethora of uncontrollable environmental factors could all be cause for you knock disappearing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but under high demand conditions the ECU generally advances timing until the knock sensor tells it to tone it down a bit. The basic variables the ECU can play with are spark advance, fuel / air ratio and EGR. But what actually is programmed in by the propellerheads at Honda so the engine plays within emission regulations, who knows.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

My spark plugs never made it to 100,000ks, had to get mine swapped at 80-90...not sure if it had to do with the previous owners lack of care (both inside and out haha) but yeah definitely a big difference once those plugs were swapped, I noticed the drive seemed a lot smoother and start ups were crisp instantly, and yes this is also on a CU2 MY11