Member Array
    Car:
    hehe

GD Jazz airconditioning

Has anyone here had to replace the leaking evaporator unit under the dash in there gd jazz? I got quoted over 2k to fix it, apparently genuine part only (about $700)

Obviosly im not paying 2k to fix the ac in a car that's worth 4k so i'm hoping i'll be able to do most of it myself, I was told its a full dash out job.

Hoping someone has gone through this who can shed some light.

Of course the a/c has to shit itself right in time for summer... thanks obama

If I can get the part from the US for 500 or so dollars and do most of it myself then pay to have it gassed up and test ect it might be worthwhile, but 2k, I would rather just sell the car lol
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I would just sell the Jazz and buy another one. Sell yours for 3.5k add that $500 and get a another one.

Even if its $500 part thats still 12.5% cost of the car.

I'm pretty sure you can do this without removing the dash. I have done an evaporator in a Jazz, but I can't remember what series.
    Drop your glove box down and have a look to the right of the heater fan. You will see where the aluminum pipes go through the firewall. I think there will be a plastic cover plate with about 8 screws and the evaporator will slide out to the left once that and a few other plastic bits are out of the way. If it's the one I am thinking of, it will come out easier if you take the tx valve off the evaporator before you slide the unit out.
    Problems you will face - you should lube the new o-rings with pag oil, which you probably won't have lying around. Also, if there's still gas in the system it's illegal to just release it into the atmosphere.
    Maybe ring around for a second quote.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    I would just sell the Jazz and buy another one. Sell yours for 3.5k add that $500 and get a another one.

Even if its $500 part thats still 12.5% cost of the car.
    yeah but no sucks ass, 500 pretty worth it to me to be comfortable

don't wanna buy another jazz since this one mechanically a1 condition
    Quote Originally Posted by RCW View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can do this without removing the dash. I have done an evaporator in a Jazz, but I can't remember what series.
    Drop your glove box down and have a look to the right of the heater fan. You will see where the aluminum pipes go through the firewall. I think there will be a plastic cover plate with about 8 screws and the evaporator will slide out to the left once that and a few other plastic bits are out of the way. If it's the one I am thinking of, it will come out easier if you take the tx valve off the evaporator before you slide the unit out.
    Problems you will face - you should lube the new o-rings with pag oil, which you probably won't have lying around. Also, if there's still gas in the system it's illegal to just release it into the atmosphere.
    Maybe ring around for a second quote.
    Thanks for the heads up on the pag oil, didn't even think about that.

You have given me some hope, I really don' wanna pull the dash out, if i can do it with out it i'll be cheering

I'm taking it for another quote some time this week just to confirm (or not) the first quote is correct
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe