Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Squealing glazed brakes - late model Jazz

I've had my 2015 Jazz (GF) since new. At about 15,000 kms, it developed a squeal in the brakes that happens a couple of times per drive. At the 20,000 km service, the dealer said it probably had a rock stuck in there. The squeal continued to happen and at the 30,000 km service, they said the brakes were glazed and that they had sanded them down. There hasn't been any real improvement since.

I previously had the GE Jazz for 6 years prior to this and no squealing whatsoever and I've driven both cars in the same manner. I use it as a family car so often have 4 passengers on board - not sure if this extra load has anything to do with it. I do note that the GE did have disc brakes front and rear which while the GF has drums at the rear.

Has anyone experienced this in their Jazz? Any suggestions on what I can do?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I haven't a jazz but sounds like a pad swap may fix it.

Is it coming from the front disks or rear drums?

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    I haven't a jazz but sounds like a pad swap may fix it.

Is it coming from the front disks or rear drums?
    The dealer said the pads had plenty left in them. Not sure whether it's front or rear.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Hunting down brake squeal can eat your sanity.

It's easier for disc brakes to squeal than drums. Try clean the contact area of the backing plates behind the pad with brake cleaner, and making a few good hard - almost ABS - stops to bed everything in. If that makes it worse (this can happen - sorry) try the Beeza solution. Buy pads with different friction material if you can.

Actually just try the hard stops first. Introduce some wear / change in the setup so the harmonics of the brake components undergo some sort of collective change.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    And make sure it is greased properly (caliper pins, back of pads (between the pad and shim) and the small area the pads slide) using brake grease.
    I used CRC brake quiet (similar functionality to brake grease but rubbery and tacky compound) on the back of the pads previously and that seemed to help.
    At 30k km it is probably worn about half way (depending on the drive and how its driven). They are right, there is still plenty of meat but some pads are more prone to noise (I think this is where Beeza is coming from).

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yup.I am going through a rattling front right brake caliper due to the sliding bolt sticking and only moving a bit.

I cleaned and lubed em but still a bit of a rattle there due to a worn Sliding bolt as I noticed it had worn.$18 on ebay.

I thought it was the anti rattle clips but they only hold the pads on,on the ek civic,dunno about other models.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Just change pads and rotors. They have already sanded the pads and problem still persists.

Cheaper option just live with it. Noise dont mean it wont stop you in time.

Its making noises, because someone didn't bed them in proper. Abused too early also leads to noises.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    dba rotors are cheap and good off ebay.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Just buy cheap rda ones..... no need to step up to dba, only a juzz.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    lolzer

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    I just picked up 4 new rotors from the RDA warehouse this morning.

2 female staff ran the discs to my car in the pouring rain while I walked under my umbrella holding the receipt and a fair bit of internalised embarrassment
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
    I just picked up 4 new rotors from the RDA warehouse this morning.

2 female staff ran the discs to my car in the pouring rain while I walked under my umbrella holding the receipt and a fair bit of internalised embarrassment
    That's great Richard.
    Can you please tell us the process in purchasing RDA rotors from the warehouse?