Type S Engine Light

The engine light on my Type S keeps turning on and off randomly.
    It will stay on for a few weeks then turn off for a few weeks and keep rotating.
    I went to the mechanic and they plugged it into the little machine which read that everything is running ok but it keeps coming back on and off.
    The mechanic said it amy be a faulty sensor.

Has any one else experienced this issue before or have any ideas?

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    Basically an engine has multiple sensors and devices, and the car too has various sensors and devices.

If something seems not right to the cars computer/ECU, then it will show you the engine light.

You can then connect a reader (which you can get off ebay for $15 and bluetooth connect it to your phone with an app such as TORQUE), and it will give you the error code/s.

That code will correspond to a sensor or device that your ECU thinks is faulty. Then you can replace or fix it.

My guess would be that it is one of your oxygen sensors.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    To help you further....

What does it do when she don't wanna fire up? Can you hear fuel Pump priming? Is the starter motor turning over?

When was the last time oil was changed? How are the spark plugs? How dirty is the intake track? What does the coolant look like?

Cos if its a sensor the ecu will throw a code after trying to fire her up a few times. Let it turn over a few times like 10-20 times before you let go off the key. If the engine light comes on flashing.
    Then you know its a sensor.

If all is good mechanically + no engine light I bet something is just dirty and needs a clean or just loose.

If you wanna rule out mechanical issues do a leak down/Compression test. Or go through my list of questions cos if it was major you will find it already.
    Last edited by amant02; 15-01-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Does the ecu only store the codes for a certain period of time? I thought the codes stay there until you clear them manually?
    I'd say o2 sensor starting to go as well, have you noticed higher fuel consumption lately? or your spark plugs getting fouled up quicker?
    Dxs gave you good info imo
    btw if it is your o2 sensor you can buy from the usa much much cheaper then australia, I remember getting quoted 400 for a primary lol, usa is like 100-150 for oem.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Now I'm not saying this is the same issue but on the commodore 3.6 alloy tech they will throw a service required light but not have an error code. Its a faulty oil pressure sensor on the alloy techs. Drops enough to throw the light but when the pressure comes back up the code doesn't log. I'd be looking for that sort of faulty sensor.

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    o2 sensor was just a pure guess from me, simply because thats the only engine light i ever got on my DC5R

Thanks heaps!
    I have already replaced the spark plugs but I will check all the other things and report back if it gets fixed in case others come across the same issue.