Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

93 Accord windscreen wiper problem

Hello again. I no sooner sort out the window motor problem and another one comes along. My windscreen wipers operate by themselves with the switch off and me not touching anything and I can't do anything about it because the switch is off. Anyone had this problem? Thanks.

Thanks for your comment. I actually saw that site you posted. My wipers haven't come on again since I uploaded my post. I asked a local mechanic friend what it might be and he said the switch on my Accord are pretty good, more likely the relay. I tried to find it but couldn't even find the wiper motor let alone the relay. It's not inside the black fuse box under the bonnet.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Do you have a service manual? Sometimes it is worth getting when I feel like my car is falling apart.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-ACC...gAAMXQgoBRgn7j

Hello. Thanks for your comment. I may just buy a manual but I don't think it will tell me why the wipers work by themselves which they did on 3 occasions today. I ended up pulling the fuse. Still doesn't fix it though

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Join a forum named Hondahookup. They have some excellent manuals available for free download.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Thanks for the tip Richard. I'll join that forum. In the meantime I located the relay under the fuse box in the engine bay and the wiper relay is underneath it. Part number 058700-1081. It's got a gray paste on the terminals and I assume it's some sort of non conductive paste. I cleaned the stuff off as it was also going between the terminals which may have created a way for the wipers to run by themselves. If not then this is going to be a difficult as I don't know if the relay is faulty and it can only be troubleshooted when they work by themselves and that's usually when I'm driving.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    What you said make a lot of sense. The paste may contain some moisure which may bridge the terminals on the relay.
    Have a look, there could be a similar relay which you could swap and this way you could work out of the relay is faulty. Sometimes you can open the relay and spray electrical cleaner (probably alcohol) to clean the parts inside.

You mentioned above that your wipers still turns on when you pulled out the fuse. Is this what you are saying? This is strange.

I cleaned the paste between the terminals and managed to take the relay cover off and it was nice and shiny as if from the factory. This could be a difficult fix to troubleshoot because as they operate by themselves when I'm driving. No, they didn't work when I took the fuse out

Wow. Everything is going wrong at once with this car. Today when I was driving the speedo was on zero then a green flashing light came on with the letter "s", it's under the temp gauge, shortly after that the orange check light came on, then the speedo went back to normal. I don't know if this is all related to the wipers working by themselves. I stopped the engine then back on again and the lights on the dash went out. Anyone have any ideas?

Since your having so many electrical faults I'm starting to wonder if you have something other than what you are looking for.
    Our of curisosity have you tested your alternator's power?
    Have you check every earth point on the car is still attached and clean?
    Is the battery in good condition?

I've seen, mind you on commodores, when both the battery and alternator fail together, windows not work properly, abs faults flash up and turn itself off, gearbox (electronic gearbox so talking Ecotec and above models here) fail to lock gears and other generally Weird shit. All fixed with a new battery and alternator.

Honda's aren't known for alternators that last for ever. Actually in the last ten years most cars made are having alternators fail at less kms then older cars. I would assume with out looking to deeply its a combination of tighter engine bays with excessive heat and higher loads required of the alternators to run the ever mounting pile of electronics that have been added to the cars.
    Or simply quality has dropped. I actually thinks its the former as I use modern alternators on most of my older project cars and they never miss a beat. Mind you thats taking a 80+ amp alternator and retro fitting it to a car that at max load needs 35 amp.