Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2006 DC5-S

Drove Through Huge Puddle - What Now??

Last night i drove through this massive puddle (couldn't even see it). My car still ran but lost power when i accelerated instantly.

I had to get home so i kept driving, and the car kept going alright, no engine light came on, but tried to accelerate a bit more to check how it was at high revs and it got to a certain point then lost a bit of revs.

It doesn't feel quite right to drive at the moment, but when i started it this morning it started fine, no lights came on, idled fine, but when i accelerated it lost speed again.

I have a cold air intake installed by the previous owner and it is quite low, what could it be??

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Hopefully it will sort itself out. .did it still rev through the rev range and lost power or did it stumble upon acceleration?

I would install a short ram intake so it won't happen again. .

Sounds like you may have got some of your electrics wet, check leads, plugs, etc, the sunken holes the plugs live in, any relays in the splash area etc,

Put a dry air filter on it.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 DC5-S
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Hopefully it will sort itself out. .did it still rev through the rev range and lost power or did it stumble upon acceleration?

I would install a short ram intake so it won't happen again. .
    Yeah the previous owner put the intake in the dumbest freaking spot, in the front bumper down low on the passenger side, total retard.

As soon as i hit the puddle it lost a fair bit of power, then the next 10 or so minutes of driving it it dropped revs a fair bit, since then it has gotten better but nowhere near like it was..could this just be the fact that the air filter could be blocked from being munted with all the water?

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 DC5-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddow View Post
    Sounds like you may have got some of your electrics wet, check leads, plugs, etc, the sunken holes the plugs live in, any relays in the splash area etc,
    Thanks for the advice, i checked the air filter and it is brown...not a good sign i assume

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 DC5-S
    Quote Originally Posted by rc_ View Post
    Put a dry air filter on it.
    Would that fix it being sluggish, revs dipping here and there and running rich?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangney View Post
    Would that fix it being sluggish, revs dipping here and there and running rich?
    If the filter is clogged and waterlogged yes it could cause all of those symptoms.

It is quick and easy to change too, if it doesn't fix it then look at other things.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    ^^ x2.If the engine internals were damaged,you would know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangney View Post
    Yeah the previous owner put the intake in the dumbest freaking spot, in the front bumper down low on the passenger side, total retard.

As soon as i hit the puddle it lost a fair bit of power, then the next 10 or so minutes of driving it it dropped revs a fair bit, since then it has gotten better but nowhere near like it was..could this just be the fact that the air filter could be blocked from being munted with all the water?

Actually it's the best spot to put the intake for performance. You might of hydrolocked the engine.

Drain the oil and see if any water is in it.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 DC5-S
    Quote Originally Posted by rossirider View Post
    Actually it's the best spot to put the intake for performance. You might of hydrolocked the engine.

Drain the oil and see if any water is in it.
    No noise coming from the engine that is unusual, so all going well nothing in the engine got munted.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 DC5-S
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    ^^ x2.If the engine internals were damaged,you would know about it.
    Then it seems like i have dodged a bullet, i bought a K&N filter that should be arriving soon.