Newcomer Array
    Car:
    none

Unhappy New Windscreen for Honda CRV.. where to go in Western Sydney?

Hi guys,

Long story short, before I went to QLD for a month, I parked my 04' HONDA CRV close to the side of the house, using one of those silver/blue windscreen reflector protector sheets.

Arrived home this morning, and went to go for a drive, I removed the reflector sheet only to discover a crack going across my windshield..

I have no idea how it happened as no one had driven my car.

Noticeably, there are 2x small stone ships that have been there since I had the car for some time, and I noticed the crack went through one of them (seen in pic above)

Now, the sun at our place rises and would hit the rear of the car, but continue at an angle so the house would have shielded the front windscreen from direct sunlight.. so perhaps the heat NSW has been having somehow did this? I've never had any issues in the past or seen heat do that.. perhaps the small stone chip had a role in this happening ?

My Question is:
    Can anyone recommend a place that does replacement windshields around Western Sydney ? As far as I know, there isn't any fancy tech in the windscreen of my car (some cars I believe, have sensors and other tech in them), so would a generic windshield be ok ?

Its quite common for a windscreen to do that. All it takes is a tiny chip with moisture in it and a change in temp and bam. Lost a windwscreen to a stone chip on a hot day recently myself.
    I'm not from Sydney but it was only 300 at koala glass in Newcastle for a CL9.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddow View Post
    Its quite common for a windscreen to do that. All it takes is a tiny chip with moisture in it and a change in temp and bam. Lost a windwscreen to a stone chip on a hot day recently myself.
    I'm not from Sydney but it was only 300 at koala glass in Newcastle for a CL9.
    I'm assuming you replaced it with an aftermarket windscreen.
    Does anyone know if the original Honda windscreen is better (maybe thicker hence quieter?)?
    Does aftermarket windscreen comes in different grade/quality?
    Windscreen O'Brien replaces windscreen but they might be more expensive. When I was in country town in NSW many years ago I used Novus but not sure if they exist now
    Last edited by Martin77; 27-01-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Don't go to O'brien. They gonna send you to a local guy and charge you a commission on top of the local guy.

Just go to the local guy and offer him cash lol.

Yes I used an "aftermarket" windscreen or really a third party windscreen and you can't tell the difference. I also had an "afermarket" windscreen rubber installed as well, as I don't believe in not changing the rubber if the windwscreen is out. Cost a whole $20 bucks more to get it. Sealed, is just as quiet, has all the same markets as the original, ie the black bit around the mirror and across the top.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    I used M&M windscreens in Kingswood a while ago, for a very similar crack across the screen in my 94 Accord. Very good price. Aftermarket windscreen. Watched them do the job. They can also come to you ( I went to the factory).
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    none
    Awesome, thanks guys

Came across M&M while googling some, will call them up for a quote .. though just out of curiosity, how much was the replacement for your new screen ?

Just wondering, has anyone changed a windscreen yourselves ?

Cost me 295 with new windscreen rubber.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by Widget View Post
    Awesome, thanks guys

Came across M&M while googling some, will call them up for a quote .. though just out of curiosity, how much was the replacement for your new screen ?

Just wondering, has anyone changed a windscreen yourselves ?
    Can't remember exactly but they were the cheapest I could find and had a screen at the shop inside a day.

As to fitting it yourself - yes you can do this but you need know what you are doing. People who have fitted hundreds of windscreens do a better job than someone experimenting with his first. I have done plenty of rubber lip type auto glass, but the glue-in type I have left to others. I'd do a side window myself though.

Issues:
    - old windscreens are a pain to get out of Hondas. Best done by 2 people, one inside the car, and a strong piano wire cutting tool with 2 handles.
    - new screen has to go in lifted by suction cups, in one motion. Again 2 people do this best.
    - there is a particular shape you need to cut into the body sealant nozzle, which results in a double line of sealant. Again you need to know exactly how much to deposit or you will end up with a mess.

for the cost of getting a screen yourself it is not really worth doing it yourself..
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    none
    Thanks guys .

I got it done the other day, ended up going through Ace Windscreens, $240 supplied and fitted with an aftermarket.