Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9

Oil Change and analysis

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine drives to and from work which takes approximately 100 km per day. It is all highway driving and he drives gently as he needs to save petrol. He shared with me the other day that servicing for this car is expensive due to the high km he is doing.
    Has anyone done this before and know where he could send his used oil for analysis so that he may be able to extend his service interval? Is there any particular chemical analysis (tbn, iron, ...) that must be done?
    Last edited by Martin77; 28-01-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Those kms arent extreme. Just use a high quality synthetic designed for long intervals https://www.nulon.com.au/products/Fu...URO_Engine_Oil

Also if he is driving so gently to get better mileage,how can he afford to get analysis?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    ^^ yes.

Cerma stm-3 extends oil changes also.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Thanks,
    I made a mistake its 200 km per day. 100 km each way.
    Normal servicing every 125000 for his car is OK but because of the frequency (5 times a year) it can be expensive.
    Yes good oil will allow extended service interval but its a good idea to check it (oil analysis) to make sure it is OK.
    Redline oil recommend 15,000 to 18,000 miles service interval in highway driving which is equivalent to more than 25,000 km. Thats crazy... I don't think I will do that without checking the condition of the oil. Once checked at maybe 20,000 km then with similar style of driving it should be ok to go on without regular checking.
    Last edited by Martin77; 28-01-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    That is not expensive... I bet his paying for the servicing. If i were him I'd invest that money into tools and he will make his money back within the year.

Also note its not oil these days thats the problem, synthetic oils are pretty good they can do 15k KMS easily.
    Its the oil filter that stops filtering oil at around the 12K mark.

Way I see it, oil i'd be using penrite 10w-50 $50 oil filter $15. Thats $65 x 5 = $325.

I'd also add, Gearbox Oil $100, Upper head cleaner $15, Injector cleaner $15, Coolant $55, Oil Flush $15 (do this once a year) - $200

Add another $200 - for things like tyre puncture repair, wheel alignment, ac regas, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs etc etc (these are not needed every time, good to do one at time when you can or when its needed) Emergency cost.

Total - $725 running cost a year is cheap af (fuel + rubber + rego + insurance not included). No need for top oil if you arent limter bashing clutch kicking.
    Last edited by amant02; 28-01-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    You are right. He is paying for servicing. I did encourage him to do it himself, willing to show him and also lend out my tools.
    One problem is that he is not mechanically inclined and does not have the confidence to do it.
    Talking about filters, the new synthetic oil filters (with wire mesh backing) is designed to last a lot longer for cars with long service interval.
    I noticed ryco has now released this new filter called syntec which I used for my brothers corolla. It is made in China though.
    The one for the accord is z547st and it cost $30 in supercheap (normally) but can be obtained cheaper in other online store. This is not needed if we change our oil at every10k km.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Why not you do it?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    It did come across my mind to do it at work (after work). It probably will look a little dodgy.
    He lives very far away from me.

I am still interested to know whether engine oil (with good synthetic oil filter) can last 25k km (modern car) in highway non spirited driving condition? I'm sure there are a lot of people in this same situation which can save money and time if they don't need to do it every 10k.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    You can do 30,000 MILES With cerma oil + cerma treatment. Don't believe me?

http://mycerma.com/can-i-really-go-1...motor-oil.html

It's been proven. Just swap the filter at 12k.Just need to find anAustralian stockist . Shipping is a bit much on ebay.

But hey,don't listen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin77 View Post
    It did come across my mind to do it at work (after work). It probably will look a little dodgy.
    He lives very far away from me.

I am still interested to know whether engine oil (with good synthetic oil filter) can last 25k km (modern car) in highway non spirited driving condition? I'm sure there are a lot of people in this same situation which can save money and time if they don't need to do it every 10k.

Stick to the recommended-by-manufacturer limits and oils and you will be fine. Change at the intervals , more often if under severe operating conditions (lots of stop start , excessive heat or dusty conditions etc)

Dont use any additives or super oils just drive the dam thing and it will last

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    FYI Cerma IS NOT an additive.And by 'super oil',well I don't know what that means.

OP wanted a solution and I gave him one.

Benny,you offered no answers and then shot mine down.Can you see that?

BTW It's not the first time,it's what you tend to do.Now,a little heads up for you - You don't have all the answers mate and sometimes you need to listen and learn.
    Last edited by beeza; 29-01-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    FYI Cerma IS NOT an additive.And by 'super oil',well I don't know what that means.

OP wanted a solution and I gave him one.

Benny,you offered no answers and then shot mine down.Can you see that?

BTW It's not the first time,it's what you tend to do.Now,a little heads up for you - You don't have all the answers mate and sometimes you need to listen and learn.

Who is talking to you ? If I was quoting you , I would of quoted you. I summarised points about what is the correct thing to do as per manufacturer specs. Info on here is cached and will live on the internets searches - its best to give proper specs rather than opinions.

OP - if you are to use additives or other specs of oil beyond the intended for that engine , you cannot warrant the longevity of the engine. This applies to any claim against the manufacturer too.
    Last edited by bennjamin; 29-01-2017 at 02:07 PM.