Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Euro Luxury

Question [CL9] Question about interior LED lighting

Hey guys, I have a 07 Accord Euro Luxury and was looking to get the interior lights changed to white LEDs. I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find an answer to my specific question.

So my question is, does it matter how many LEDs are in a single bulb? I've been looking on eBay and they have single LEDs all the way up to 28 LEDs in a bulb! The thing I'm worried about is that if I buy the ones with more LEDs, the car will not be able to power it properly and cause flickering or something. Is that how it works or does it not really matter?

Also, do I have to take into consideration a specific amount of voltage, watts or amps for the LEDs?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm not really good with all this electrical stuff so any help will be appreciated!

Cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Try this one and let me know what you think.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-White-...gAAOSwHnFV6sYU

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    Be surprised if any draw more watts than the bulb they'd be replacing. Voltage is 12V, so if the original bulb is 25W, you can go up to 2A for the LED. If the bulbs were to draw too many amps, it shouldn't flicker, the fuse should just blow. Which is another way to look at it. If for instance the interior lighting fuse was 30A, then as long as all the bulbs combined are less than that, then you should be fine. Not that they'd all be powered at once.

Given the higher efficiency of LEDs I'd be more worried about it being way too bright if you were to draw close to the original wattage. Like imagine if you replaced a 50W 12V MR16 halogen downlight with a 50W LED? Would be ridiculous.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Euro Luxury
    Try this one and let me know what you think.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-White-...gAAOSwHnFV6sYU
    Thanks! But I'm still wondering why that one is more expensive than the others I've seen on eBay. Better quality perhaps?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Euro Luxury
    Be surprised if any draw more watts than the bulb they'd be replacing. Voltage is 12V, so if the original bulb is 25W, you can go up to 2A for the LED. If the bulbs were to draw too many amps, it shouldn't flicker, the fuse should just blow. Which is another way to look at it. If for instance the interior lighting fuse was 30A, then as long as all the bulbs combined are less than that, then you should be fine. Not that they'd all be powered at once.

Given the higher efficiency of LEDs I'd be more worried about it being way too bright if you were to draw close to the original wattage. Like imagine if you replaced a 50W 12V MR16 halogen downlight with a 50W LED? Would be ridiculous.
    Thank you for the insight! I never thought of it that way I guess.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by johnyy View Post
    Thanks! But I'm still wondering why that one is more expensive than the others I've seen on eBay. Better quality perhaps?
    There are three types of led, the dome led (most common in 5mm), surface mount LEDs and high powered LEDs commonly found in torches. The dome light above uses 3 cree LEDs with better electronics hence the extra cost. Instead of trialing cheaper ones (which I have done), it is best to go straight to quality unit, it's cheaper that way.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by safetycar View Post

The rule of thumb is that you would replace standard halogen with led a quarter its power (5W halogen = 1.25W led). This is true power (Voltage x Current) and not the power written on the spec.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    This one has one led only. It's probably the same brightness as the halogen but whiter
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-White-...oAAOSwjVVVimHA

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    I replaced some of my interior lights with SMD LED modules because I wanted more light.

The interior now has the utilitarian ambience of a 7-11.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon