Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eat's AT Civic

Member Array
    Car:
    E-AT Civic

eat's AT Civic

So whilst on the lookout for a Civic to stick my DA1's running gear into I found one with a twincam already installed... I just happened to do a quick search in the Quokka and came across an AT Civic Si. So I gave the seller a call, asked a few questions and went and had a look. Next day I'm driving home in my new Civic! It's has had a respray at some stage that still looks good from 20 metres away. It's got a few k's on the clock, a holey exhaust, AC doesn't work but it's very original, drives ok and it's unique. I love it.
    I'm going to use this as a bit of a log to keep track of what I've done or plan to do to the car in the future. It will probably be quite boring, but I know I find other people’s owners threads interesting, even if they're only documenting an oil change, or change of tyres, etc. so don't expect too much action!

The previous owner is an older local Perth guy, he's a nice bloke with a good knowledge and passion for 80's Hondas. He bought the civic in 2000, buying it from the original Australian owner who had it imported (from NZ!). Probably under the old 15y.o. import rule.

He drove it daily as well as tackling some epic journeys such as driving across the Nullarbor all the way to far North Qld and back! Something like 9000kms in one trip! So it's been well used as much as it's been well loved. It's survived a few incidents with some Aussie fauna too, having hit a wombat and having a kangaroo go up and over the roof at some stage too! It looks to have been repaired well in the past, but I guess until you dig deeper by taking bumpers and trim off or getting it on a hoist that you can tell for sure.

It's had a respray at some time in its standard polar white, along with judicious use of a touch up pen along the way too! Anyway, having since retired, and needing to downsize his fleet, the Civic was put up for sale. That's where I join the story. Anyway, here's a quick photo, if it works...

Member Array
    Car:
    E-AT Civic
    That pic shows the Civic in it’s current state (hasn’t changed in a while). I purchased the car mid-April 2015, so coming up to two years of ownership. Will now continue to get you guys up to date with what’s happened to the little nugget since buying it. These updates will be based on posts from back in the day on the Perth CRX club forum

Member Array
    Car:
    E-AT Civic
    Mods on the car when I bought it included random jap multi-stud alloys (14x6 inch with 185/60 tyres; DA9? Front seats; 90’s Alpine head unit (with remote control!) and KYB excel G shocks.

Post-purchase photos:

Things currently needing attention include: a new air intake tube; exhaust repaired; AC looked at; immobiliser fitting and new gear shifter bushes (it’s hard to tell what gear you’re in some time!). In the mean-time, I'll probably slot in the bushes from the Integra as they're in better nick, but long term I think I'll get hold of some Chedda’s Auto shifter bushes along with an Energy Suspensions full bushing set which I think comes with the remaining shifter bushes needed.

Future modifications I'd like to do include installing anything suspension wise from my DA1 that is an upgrade for the Civic, an exhaust upgrade, and probably a long time down the track an Osaka JDM rear spoiler, purple speed front spoiler, 14x6.5 inch Watanabe wheels with 185/55 tyres!
    Last edited by e-at; 02-04-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Looks real nice. Love the history,good to know she has been used for what it was built for. Go the civic's!!!

Sunroofs are awesome too.

that's one fat mother fuker

nice hondie as well
    Last edited by lolmclol; 03-04-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ®
    Very nice

Member Array
    Car:
    E-AT Civic
    How'd you even spot that lol... neighbour's cat photobombing

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Welcome pal,theres a user here obsessed with AT's

but....what is THIS???

interdimensional illuminati devil!!!!??

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Damn.Be careful round there man,black cats and a perched little devil Oh my!

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    cool ride

Member Array
    Car:
    E-AT Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Welcome pal,theres a user here obsessed with AT's

but....what is THIS???

interdimensional illuminati devil!!!!??

bahahahaha

I swear when we moved in to that place it's eyes followed you...
    Last edited by e-at; 06-04-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    E-AT Civic
    So, brake pedal used to travel so far and needed to tighten the loose hand brake. So reefed on the hand brake in reverse a few times to adjust the shoes and a couple of turn on the main handbrake adjuster nut and was met with grinding sounds from the right rear with any sort of braking. So decide to inspect further.

With the drums off I was met with a sopping wet mess of brake fluid soaked shoes, drums and wrinkled paint.

So wheel cylinders were pretty much seized and had been leaking for a while. Compared to the Civic's 180mm rear drums, the DA1 had 200mm drums. They were in much better condition with only one of the two cylinders just starting to leak. Shoes and drums all dry though. So quick trip to Perth Brake Parts got me two new wheel cylinders. Swapped all the civic brake gear to the DA1’s larger stuff, gave it a flush and bleed.

A test drive gave a much better pedal height, no more graunching and grinding and much more effective braking. Once the shoes were adjusted a bit closer to the drums and a final bleed was done they were much better.

Only thing is I hope that my master cylinder holds out as there's wrinkled paint below it on the booster from what I hope is only the result of an old leak. Once I'm able, I'll probably buy new 180mm shoes and swap the standard drums back in. Wheel cylinders are the same for both sizes.

Whilst working on the brakes I compared the AT's fronts to the DA1's. Same sized vented rotors but callipers are a bit different, including different pad shape and size... weird. Not sure what the go is there. Guessing pistons are same size as non-vented ones maybe, and they use the same bore master? the DA1 caliper looks stiffer with the pad holder having the bridge thing??

The only other mod I'd done at this stage was sticking the DA1 rear springs in. I’d chopped 1.5 coils off which left the rear about 15-20mm higher than standard. Ended up taking off another half a coil off which brought the rear back to standard Civic height. And it’s still captive too.
    Last edited by e-at; 08-04-2017 at 12:31 AM.