Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi all

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    O,nice nice . Great to see mate,back together again

Quote Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
    a light buff and something with a crapload of silicon like nu-finish will equalise those colours.
    A few people have suggested that a good cut/polish would bring back the red but if you saw it up close you would see it's beyond redemption. The two previous owners of this vehicle were Queenslanders (I must admit to also being guilty of this heritage despite living in Sydney for 16 years) and the original owner was from Mackay. One thing I know from growing up in Bris Vegas is that 20 minutes exposed to direct sunlight can give you a sunburn. Summer is brutal, I can't even imagine how bad it must get in Mackay and the way the paint has faded on my car you can tell it has seen more than its fair share of sun exposure.
    The way the paint has faded from the top and gradually improves as it works its way down tells me the base coat has been compromised by sun exposure. The sides of the car are pretty much ok and the bumpers are practically 100% as the plastic doesn't heat up as much and I assume that means it doesn't bake as much as the body. Up close the faded paint is a bit blotchy, almost like its got a skin disease. If only it was skin deep then a cut and buff would help but unfortunately that damage underneath the clear coat and the only way to repair that is to get underneath it. Even the boys at the smash repair had a go and said that they had no joy. The boss said something about the paint being lead based, I am guessing by the way he was talking about it that its not that common these days and not designed to cope with intense sunlight we have here. Not too mention the colour red is going to fade due to sun exposure pretty much regardless of where you live. I remember testing colour for heat absorbtion when I was in primary school and from memory black was the worst followed closely by red but feel free to correct me on that one as it was 29 years ago and I doubt our temperature readings were calibrated for accuracy!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Only a full respray will fix your issue permanently.

A good polish will make it look good again for a few weeks, then you gota wash and redo.

I love red cars, I have been tackling this issues since my 1st red EM1 9 years ago. It does turn out to look pink after awhile.

Just keep waxing it once a month and no one will know anybetter. If your down for it a closed door respray in the south west will cost you only 2k cash in factory colour.

There is really only 3 sections that need a spray - hood, roof and boot. Driver's side arch over the door is faded too but it's part of the rear quarter which I could ignore for the time being as it's not as bad as the aforementioned panels.

Taught myself to spray-paint a few years ago when my previous car kept getting damaged by anonymous arseholes, I was injured at work at the time and found myself situated in a large storage facility in St. Peters while I recovered. I used the space after hours to respray a rear quarter panel that had been keyed and the whole front end/hood that been backed into. No note left of course and the grille was smashed and a crease was left right the middle of the hood above the badge. Over a month of perseverance with the bare minimum in terms of equipment and I actually ended up with a pretty good result. Even got a compliment from a panel beater though he I reckon he would have been less kind had he seen the paint job in daytime.
    I am glad this car isn't metallic blue like my last car. I never want to mix up another batch of that stuff. Trying to get a match was a nightmare but this red on my Integra is so common you can buy it ready-made from Duplicolor. I'm considering removing the spoiler and painting that first just to see how good the match is. The other areas are best left for the pros though..once the they get resprayed the car will look brand new. The rest of it is immaculate, only got 86k on the clock and completely stock from front to back so it wiuld be nice to make the most of it while I can.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Can't fault your analysis and opinion. Plain Red repray should give you an excellent result as you say.

Just be careful with the edges of panels and corners. I had a massive problem with the zinc galvanisation having been sanded through during a respray, and while I had a great looking car, underneath the car had lost its rust protection in places. Ten year later I had to fix a lot of surface rust bubbles coming through. I now would rather buy a slightly rough car with original paint rather than a great looking car that has had a recent respray.

I had a brand new resprayed car keyed on front to back on both sides once. Weeks of work destroyed in under a minute. It was then that I decided not to care so much about paint in future and just focus on rust protection. My repair jobs since then have been effective but a little Mad Max in appeal.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Can't fault your analysis and opinion. Plain Red repray should give you an excellent result as you say.

Just be careful with the edges of panels and corners. I had a massive problem with the zinc galvanisation having been sanded through during a respray, and while I had a great looking car, underneath the car had lost its rust protection in places. Ten year later I had to fix a lot of surface rust bubbles coming through. I now would rather buy a slightly rough car with original paint rather than a great looking car that has had a recent respray.

I had a brand new resprayed car keyed on front to back on both sides once. Weeks of work destroyed in under a minute. It was then that I decided not to care so much about paint in future and just focus on rust protection. My repair jobs since then have been effective but a little Mad Max in appeal.
    Keyed both sides? Ouch.. Imagine catching them in the act. I thought things like that only happened to me.
    I have to park my car on the street - 45° angle parking and no line markings to use as a guide. Most people fail dismally when it comes to reverse parking and parking on angle makes it worse. Add to that I live next to shops situated on a busy intersection so protecting my car from exterior damage is near impossible. People seem to think that when you park your car it's normal to open your door until it hits the car parked next to you. So I can understand being satisfied with Mad Max styling, sometimes its the best you can do and it also helps keep a low profile making it less desirable to thieves.
    Most of the time I just wish birds wouldn't shit on my car whenever I have just giving it a polish.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Birds? One place where I park a lot the council has planted some type of tree that constantly rains down sticky tree sweat. Don't know what possessed them to plant trees like that. I'm constantly washing it off.

Speaking of birds you reminded me of an old joke..
    Q what do you do when a bird shits on your car?
    A never take her out again!!
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Birds? One place where I park a lot the council has planted some type of tree that constantly rains down sticky tree sweat. Don't know what possessed them to plant trees like that. I'm constantly washing it off.

Speaking of birds you reminded me of an old joke..
    Q what do you do when a bird shits on your car?
    A never take her out again!!
    Nice. That gave me a laugh to kick off my friday morning. Cheers.