Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Legend 88

Question 1989 Integra Alternator removal??

Hello all,
    I haven't been on this forum for years. We had a 1988 Legend which we owned for 22 years, we ran just under 600,000klms up on it and sadly it had to go when my wife needed a car suitable to carry grandchildren.

13 years ago, I bought a 1989 Integra for my daughter. She was and is in love with it. Nearly 2 years ago she went overseas and I told her that the car had to go. It was not worth paying the rego on it if it was just sitting in our driveway. A few tears but she understood.

What she didn't know is I put it into a dry shed on a mates property after giving it a huge clean up and polish. So it sat there for 21 months. 4 weeks back, she came home for a 10 day visit so I got it out of the shed before she arrived. Put it onto club permit plates and she was over the moon to see it still survives.

Interesting car in that it's build number 53. Built in April 89 so I'm guessing it was a trial build car, sent to Oz for testing (maybe road testing???). Maybe??

So yesterday, I drive it back to the farm to put it to bed for maybe another couple of years. Driving it in very heavy rain, A/C on, radio on Wipers running, headlights on. Pulled up to put petrol in it and it would not start. Hardly enough power to turn it over. Push started it, ran it on minimal power (no a/c, no headlights unless a car came near me so on and off again) and it made it ok to the farm. The wipers started running properly while travelling along though. Prior to filling it up, they were struggling.

I'm thinking it might be the alternator although I've later thought it might be that the alternator belt might be slipping under a heavy load.

Anyone think that might be the case??? I can't test it as I'm now 120 kilometres from the car.

But if it is the alternator, it looks difficult to get to it. A/C pipes run over the top of it and not much room to work on it..

Looking for some thoughts on this please???

Oh, I forgot to add that when I got to the farm, when standing in carport with the engine running the engine was continually surging from a near stall to about 1500rpm. Would that have anything to do with it???

Thank you

Member Array
    Car:
    Long history
    You should be able to download a honda workshop manual for the second generation integra off the net somewhere. (from a quick google: http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/do...p?do=cat&id=11 )

Most likely the manual will be for left hand drive though, so might not explain the best way to remove an alternator from a right hand drive.

I would say slipping belt would make a lot of noise, so i doubt its that. I have never had to diagnose an alternator, but I would say a multimeter to check the voltage outpoint is probably a thing to do. You can even get voltage meters that plug into your cigerette lighter (i bought a $20 multiple adapter with USB for my car and it has a voltage output display).

Regarding the idle surging, this is common and I believe it is due to the IACV device on the intake manifold.. do a google about it. I think a suggestion is to unplug it, and if the problem goes away then you know the IACV is causing it.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Legend 88
    Thanks for your comments. I did look at a youtube video on removing the alternator but it was indeed a LHD car and they start by removing the left hand drive shaft!!!

Of course the USA problem is the brake booster is on top so impossible the pull it up from the top. But I still wonder about whether I can pull it out from the top.

And I'll check into the "IACV" thingo. No idea about that but I will google it
    '
    Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Sounds right mate,gotta remove driveshaft or intake manifold on the ek to remove. Best to have the battery checked too.

A simple clean of the IACV as dxs said to solve the loopy idle.

Nice story

in my sig (just below) there's a link to a diy.If iacv doesn't fix it the FITV should. There's a diy there for that to . Different car EXACT same principle.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or problems.
    Last edited by beeza; 10-04-2017 at 04:53 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I think Battery Dead and needs new fluids. If your gonna leave the car for periods of time, best to drain all fluids and put it on jackstands.
    Also petrol does go off after some time, Fresh 10L jerry can with 98 or 95 would't hurt.

Its rare for alternators to die, the should be check battery light that should light up in modern cars or use a multi meter to determine the cause.
    I have owned 7 cars in my lifetime, some were shit box's its always been the battery that goes 1st. Specially if wasn't started for nearly 2 years.

I'd also do 'false starts' go to start it make her turn but dont let it start. Do it a few times so the oil can start moving around.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Ya gotta get a CTEK Smart charger amant.They are the best in the business. Restores old and dying batterys back to life.On special at ebay atm $105,the mx5 5.0

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    I paid for the biggest battery that will fit my car that holds the most charge and best cold start rating. coming up to 4 years no issues.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Haha smart move but heavy...

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by heybuck60 View Post
    Hello all,

Interesting car in that it's build number 53. Built in April 89 so I'm guessing it was a trial build car, sent to Oz for testing (maybe road testing???). Maybe??

I can't test it as I'm now 120 kilometres from the car.
    Its good to be ready when you are there next. What Amant02 and Beeza said is right. Most likely is the battery that has failed as it is not designed to be stored for a long time. Ok, what do you need to bring when you are there next? I am thinking,
    Water for battery top up,
    Multimeter to test battery voltage and alternator voltage
    Jumper leads or battery charger (battery tester would be handy also. I have Solar BA5 and ctek mx5 and both very good)
    Sta-bil fuel stabilizer from supercheap
    4 jack stands or the plastic flat spot tyre saver to eliminate tyre flat spot and maybe
    tools and cleaners to clean your IACV
    Anything else anyone?

If you need to buy a new battery (old one beyond recovery), it is important to keep it topped up (charged - either drive it or charge it) every 3-4 months and probably wise to disconnect the battery when not in use (eliminate parasitic drain).