Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you know when its time to replace your engine?

Hey guys,

Just curious to know, when do you know when its time to replace an engine? Like is it at a certain mileage?

also, curious, roughly, how much would it cost to replace a d16y4 with a d16y4 on a stock ek1 hatch.

also, would you know roughly what kind of mileage the replacement engine would have (range)?

cheers in advance
    Last edited by YZFr1; 15-04-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Is it eating oil?

Whats happening why you asking this question?

Is it still making power?

Is fuel consumption bad?

Is it over heating?

both the old d series that we had in my family both of them saw nearly 300k Kms when we sold it in working order.

Compression or leak down test. If you can change ur spark plugs you can do a compression test.

Good engine will cost you around <$500. Expect about $1000 in labour for the swap. Give or a take a few hundred if you wanna do a major service or replace the clutch while your at it.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    U don't need to worry about that,the d16's go forever like most Honda engines. Things that need replacing will be all the usual suspects. Just stay on top of everything,services and problems. Same for the car and it will last you a very long time. You will get bored of it before you wear it out. My last y4 had 390,000 k's and it was strong. Sold it for 250.Feels like the b18c7 with 155,000 feels fresh with 220/220/220/200 compression.

Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    Is it eating oil?

Whats happening why you asking this question?

Is it still making power?

Is fuel consumption bad?

Is it over heating?

both the old d series that we had in my family both of them saw nearly 300k Kms when we sold it in working order.

Compression or leak down test. If you can change ur spark plugs you can do a compression test.

Good engine will cost you around <$500. Expect about $1000 in labour for the swap. Give or a take a few hundred if you wanna do a major service or replace the clutch while your at it.
    The engine is all good. I ask these questions because i was curious.

also curious, does it cost the same to replace auto d16y4 with auto d16y4 instead of manual d16y4 with manual d16y4?

also for future reference , which businesses would you guys recommend that can do the swap?

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Cost will be the same.

Any Mechanic should be able do it. Get a few quotes and go to the cheapest/the one you liked best talking too.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Once it goes bang, then you'll know

Mods pls close thread

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by YZFr1 View Post
    Hey guys,

Just curious to know, when do you know when its time to replace an engine? Like is it at a certain mileage?
    When it stops running or presents problems that are not financially viable to fix (I.e. Engine replacement is cheaper/easier). There is no predetermined mileage.

also, curious, roughly, how much would it cost to replace a d16y4 with a d16y4 on a stock ek1 hatch.
    Ask actual workshops that can carry out the work. 'Quotes' from ozhonda won't carry over to the real world.

also, would you know roughly what kind of mileage the replacement engine would have (range)?
    This is impossible to answer since there are a ridiculous amount of variables. Try to buy one with low mileage and look after it properly.

cheers in advance
    No worry mate
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    When it stops running or presents problems that are not financially viable to fix (I.e. Engine replacement is cheaper/easier). There is no predetermined mileage.

Ask actual workshops that can carry out the work. 'Quotes' from ozhonda won't carry over to the real world.

This is impossible to answer since there are a ridiculous amount of variables. Try to buy one with low mileage and look after it properly.

No worry mate
    Just wondering, how can you find workshops? Ive only heard of BYP and they have mixed reviews.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by YZFr1 View Post
    Just wondering, how can you find workshops? Ive only heard of BYP and they have mixed reviews.
    Not sure if srs

If srs, most mechanical workshops can do a basic engine replacement.. Find some near you that you like the look of, use google..
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Benny Tran,the boy can drive!!

Pm'ed.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    No worry mate
    OP, I would disregard anything this user has said except for this line he wrote here. It's 10/10 information. Bookmark it

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut