Thread: EGR valve

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey

EGR valve

Just wondering how interchangeable the EGR valves are between engines?
    Most of them seem to be divided into two main types - offset bolt flange or direct bolt flange.
    I have a F23Z4 motor in a 2003 odyssey - 4 cylinder. It needs a new EGR. Most of any 2.3litre motor in the Honda range looks the same including the electrical plugs. Even the V6 EGR's from the USA look in the photos as if they would fit although I'd not consider the risk unless someone could confirm they are the same. They are much cheaper.
    Has anyone done the research or can confirm what part numbers I should be looking for if they are motor specific please?

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Or you can blank it off and have your engine reflashed by someone who knows what they are doing.

ISTR Honda uses either vacuum or solenoid actuated EGR valves on different motors, so if the EGR valve looks identical and is from the same era it is likely to be the same part.

If the problem is a sticky valve you can also dismantle and clean out the EGR valve, manifold and ports. The main problem is carbon build up. See youtube for instructions.
    Last edited by Richard B; 23-05-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
    Or you can blank it off and have your engine reflashed by someone who knows what they are doing.

ISTR Honda uses either vacuum or solenoid actuated EGR valves on different motors, so if the EGR valve looks identical and is from the same era it is likely to be the same part.

If the problem is a sticky valve you can also dismantle and clean out the EGR valve, manifold and ports. The main problem is carbon build up. See youtube for instructions.
    Thank you for the reply.
    In the case of the Honda engines, my reading actually points to the EGR being advantageous and not a deterrent to performance. Its the wifes car anyway so not so concerned with modifying it.
    Ours is electric operated and so many of them do indeed look the same. Its why I asked the forum just in case there were subtle differences that might affect its operation and degrade the engine performance if used on the wrong engine.
    I'm quite familiar with programming BMW's and have the software, but Honda are a law unto their own and only conform to international standards at the most basic levels. So it requires Honda orientated software which I'm not prepared to buy or steal.
    This EGR has been cleaned once very thoroughly and has lasted another 3500klms and now indicating giving problems again. We were warned it was a bit too far gone to clean up for another 100,000klms so I want to just replace it.
    You've given me a bit more confidence that if they look the same they probably are.
    Cheers.