S2000 - Possible starter failure?

Hey everyone,

I have recently had an intermittent problem with the start-up of my car (2001 S2k).

When I put to reds and press the power on button I only get the loud click of the starter relay, and the motor doesn't crank. I have replaced the battery and even tried it whilst a friend had jumper leads to his car on.

This only happens on and off. Yesterday I couldn't get the car to work at all and had to clutch start it, and when I got home I tried again and it worked the second time. Other times I will press the start button once and only get a click, and then the next time the motor will kick.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    sounds like the starter solenoid

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    sounds like the starter solenoid
    X2 would change starter
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

I'm having the same issue with a K24 starter. I had it rebuilt - new solenoid fitted. Auto elec said that the rest of the starter looked good so he just cleaned it up and reassembled.
    Obviously something else is still going on. Will be talking to him this week to look at options.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    I'm having the same issue with a K24 starter. I had it rebuilt - new solenoid fitted. Auto elec said that the rest of the starter looked good so he just cleaned it up and reassembled.
    Obviously something else is still going on. Will be talking to him this week to look at options.
    Best thing to do is put 12V to it and see if the solenoid pops out. Do this while it is out of the car obviously
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Yeh the solenoid kicks out (I tested it on the bench the first time I had it out ). I had it apart and everything looked good (brushes, commutator and wires / terminals from what I could see. I cleaned up the comms and brushes and reassembled, reinstalled and tried it in the car. Same result so I ripped it out and took to the auto sparky.
    Once rebuilt I refitted and still the same problem. He said that the switching wire probably has poor contact causing the problem (common with older wiring). I'll try an in line push button switch or a solenoid to see if this helps. Not overly confident as there seems to be enough power to kick the solenoid out with a fair bit of force. Worth a try as an easy test though. Otherwise it's out with the starter again (luckily only a 10 min job to remove )

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    Yeh the solenoid kicks out (I tested it on the bench the first time I had it out ). I had it apart and everything looked good (brushes, commutator and wires / terminals from what I could see. I cleaned up the comms and brushes and reassembled, reinstalled and tried it in the car. Same result so I ripped it out and took to the auto sparky.
    Once rebuilt I refitted and still the same problem. He said that the switching wire probably has poor contact causing the problem (common with older wiring). I'll try an in line push button switch or a solenoid to see if this helps. Not overly confident as there seems to be enough power to kick the solenoid out with a fair bit of force. Worth a try as an easy test though. Otherwise it's out with the starter again (luckily only a 10 min job to remove )
    Easy to change the cable, but sounds unlikely

I was apprehensive too but it appears to have done the trick. For now I just rigged up a relay to test the theory and tested it about 8 times. Each time the starter engaged perfectly without any clicking / delay etc. Still need a lot more testing but so far it looks promising. Normally it would have played up by the 3rd or 4th try.
    Still undecided whether to set up a permanent relay (another failure point and still relying on 20 year old electrics) or run a new wire with a start button because race car.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    probably not really needed for a relay but

up to you mayne