Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux

Thumbs up First Out of warranty service! Accord CR 2013-onwards

Hi all!,

Just performed the first DIY out of warranty service on our 2013 current shape Accord VTI-L + ADAS 39,000kms. will be following a similar schedule to my Euro 06 with 246,000kms on it (so i must be doing something right, right? =P)

Oil: 5W40 Shell Ultra with the PurePlus
    Filter: Honda 15400-RTA-003 Japan (I think it's made by Mahle Tennex)

Notes: our dealer must have been using 0W20 (to my disbelief) as the engine is much more quiet now, especially at the higher RPMs. Will see how much consumption actually changes as the manual says FEO 0W20 is used only for best consumption/ efficiency

Chain rattle was much more noticable with the dealer oil

That Thai oil filter from the dealer was on tight!

ATF: Penrite LV put in a bottle of Nulon Automatic transmission treatment I had from a special a while back
    DW-1 Specs http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?154787

Already did the filter (behind the fuse and relay box of the car, near the hood hinges passenger side) with a magnefine filter and did a change at the 2yr mark because I didn't like the jerk and lag i was getting putting the car in drive from reverse in the mornings. oil was already going brown then. Slight colour change since then... put in 3L

coolant: flushed with RO water from work (we have a machine) to get the heater core stuff diluted and refilled with penrite Blue concentrate 3.2L and topped up with RO.
    flushed it with Penrite radiator flush I had a bottle of... might get another one for the Euro when that's due again- has Nulon green in it

Car only gets driven 3 days a week so we barely do 9000 a year if we dont go for trips to melbourne

Curious if anyone has noticed what I noticed with the trans and engine? anything odd or cool you have noticed so far?
    I thought it would be good to make this thread now as they are coming out of warranty
    Last edited by AndrewRox22; 13-06-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Yes dealer use 0w20 or 5w20 for fuel efficiency.

a 5w30 could suffice for most daily driving, 5w40 for summers tho
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Yes dealer use 0w20 or 5w20 for fuel efficiency.

a 5w30 could suffice for most daily driving, 5w40 for summers tho
    40 is operating viscosity so shouldnt matter as much if it's summer or winter. either way, the book recommends 5w40 as acceptable for all ambient operating temps

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    What he mean't was thicker oil in summer for extra protection, since its nice and cold in winter take advantages of thinner oil without risk?

I personally dont like 0-5w oils. 10-15W minimum, but I limiter bash at least once per a drive lol. Current fav is 15w-50 all season just warm up 1-2mins before driving.

As Andrew said, ambient temperature only affects the oil viscosity when the engine is cold (which is what the first number relates to.) Hot viscosity (the second number ) is not affected at all ( or at worst, negligible) by ambient temperature if the cooling system is operating properly. If the hot engine temp varies that much with ambient temperature levels then you've got bigger issues than oil rating.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Yea 30 for winter and 40 for summer. Summer requires more protection hence thicker? Im i missing something here?

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    Yea 30 for winter and 40 for summer. Summer requires more protection hence thicker? Im i missing something here?
    Operating engine temp shouldn't vary as much regardless of ambient temp, remember that the 30/40 @operating temp is still thinner than the starting viscosity of oil in our >0 degree temps

in scenarios of extreme engine load and temp, it's only really on the track, heavy towing etc etc the 40 is more preferable to 30 because of the higher engine temps you would see.

the car only gets driven 3-4 days a week and not as much as the euro so now out of warranty, the oil is only getting changed every max 12months or 10,000km if we go on a long road trip interstate

I am happy to pay a bit more (although not much) for it to run 5W40, much prefer the less rattly engine

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Dunno why you'd put a gearbox treatment in a brand new auto
    Just change the are regularly
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum