Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord

What is the fix for power steering whistling noise?

Starting to hear this on cold starts especially.

Apart from the "new power steering pump" solution, Has anyone gone in there and fixed the actual issue?

stories, costs, experiences, video links, all appreciated.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I am not sure if my noise is from the power steering but I bought a seal kit and bearing (6203) for my accord euro ($42 delivered). I haven't install it though, so busy at work.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....=1430830&jsn=2

When I google it, a replacement of 2 o-rings (inlet and outlet hose) may fix it. Air is getting in apparently.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Thanks.

I might try warming up the pump with a hair dryer before starting one day. I makes sense that failing O rings first play up in colder weather (hello Challenger). If the warming up of the pump makes a difference we're on the right path here.

It sounds a little like a far away ambulance.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Eric the car guy says if your going to change the o-rings,it comes with a warning,it might not work out.Ijust did the replacement ps pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArxN8T_6PbI

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Thanks Beeza

The sound doesn't bother me all that much and the steering works fine. I'm not going to rush into this repair.

I might ask some more questions later - I think the PS pump I have is the same as on the petrol engine, but you know, Honda probably gave it a completely different part number.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CM6 + CL9
    Hi Richard,

This is probably a bit late but I thought I'd share my experiences just in case you find it useful.
    I had similar problems on two different accords ('04 V6 model & CL9 Euro), the first temporary fix was a simple tightening of the bolts near the hoses, basically came loose due to the pressure creating an airleak but after 12 months I ended up replacing the "O" ring which cost about $3 from my local Honda dealership. Both cars have not given any further PS issues.
    Hope this information helps!

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Thanks for your input donny. I haven't done anything about it yet, just been entertaining myself with the idea that I am outrunning a cop car every time I hear this sound.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Ahahaha nice one Richard!

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    I watched the Eric TCG video. Wow what a doozy. I suspect that the blades in the pump wear to a microscopic interference fit with the slots and should not be mixed up. That noise sounded like fluid cavitation, not just air leaking.

I think I will try replace the outside inlet and outlet O rings only and leave the pump body alone.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yeah he goes into depth (he craps on) a lot in his 19 minute videos,I usually watch the 3 minute version someone else has done but that video does need extra explanation.If you have the time and patience to watch his vids,U probably would pick up a trick or 2.