Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude

Tobias' 1989 Prelude General maintenance/Build Thread

Hey all,

Figured i should start something before i get too deep, pretty much each post i chuck in this thread is going to describe any more detailed than usual things i get up to on the lude' while trying to bring it back to its former Glory.

Details on the car:
    -1989 Honda prelude 2.0si 4WS
    -Manual trans
    -370,000 kms on the clock
    - pretty much stock errythang apart from a few little extras which were on the car when i bought it which were:
    1. the sound system, including an absolutely massive sub enclosure that basically filled the whole boot
    2. chrome shifter
    3. cd player

Since buying the car there were a couple small things i needed to fix up for rego,
    leaks, blown bulbs & a small electrical fault that was causing a couple fuses to blow.

First thing i did was change all the bulbs & removed the maaad sound system (head deck didn't work anyways) and as it turned out, a bad wiring job on the headunit was what caused the electrical fault!
    two birds one stone.

Removed the Chrome shifter & replaced with OEM Honda shifter piced up from a wreckers, also installed a glovebox (yes the car came without a glovebox.

The sump was leaking so i thought it was best to replace the gasket - went to drain the oil and upon closer inspection i realised the the 'sump bolt' had been chemi-welded in (due to it being stripped was my guess).

Took the whole sump off anyways which was a messy experience and found out that my sump bolt was actually a spark plug!
    i got it removed and a new nut welded over the old hole, and a new bolt with it! i then put the sump back on without a hitch paired an old Honda gasket from a local parts store.

next i changed all the broken bulbs out, gave it a clean etc.

Hopefully i can keep this interesting with some pictures in the next post
    Newbie with an old Lude

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    Thanks to some friendly advice on the forums I've been able to create a list of general maintenance (and a bit more) to do on the Prelude.

The short term plan was to bring this prelude back to a reliable daily driver level so I can work on some of the other projects me and my mates have floating around whilst still having my own transport!
    Later on I plan to fix up the body + paintwork.

List:
    - change 02 Sensor
    - clean throttle Body
    - upper engine conditioner
    - "calibrate tps voltage"
    - grease the pilot ball in the clutch system
    - replace upper & lower radiator hoses
    - replace other coolant & heater hoses
    - replace all hose clamps with screw clamps
    - replace rocker cover gasket
    - install OEM rear wing & light

Hopefully not too much gets added to this list, however if anything does it will be listed below so I can keep track of my original workload.

Bonus list:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Newbie with an old Lude

Jubilee clamps aren't really an upgrade over the OEM style, though they do make it easier to remove the ones in tight spots. If you're going to the effort of cleaning the throttle body make sure to clean the IACV and FITV as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by Austro View Post
    Jubilee clamps aren't really an upgrade over the OEM style, though they do make it easier to remove the ones in tight spots. If you're going to the effort of cleaning the throttle body make sure to clean the IACV and FITV as well.
    Will keep those in mind, maybe a project for Friday night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Newbie with an old Lude