Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Quote Originally Posted by longerpay2 View Post
    Not as of yet, I have thrown around several ideas but yet to come up with a solution that I am 100% set on. So far I have looked at:

Honda B20A6 out of a 3rd gen Prelude
    Mitsubishi 4G54 out of a 1st gen Magna
    Honda K24A1 with AWD from a CRV
    Holden 186 RWD from An LJ Torana

The usual suspects such a B16 of B18 or even a K20 have been looked at but cannot find one at the right price currently. All a bit too costly considering they will need a full internal rebuild regardless of which motor I go with.
    At least for the B20A6, wouldn't the larger initial buy-in cost on a B16/B18 (or even a K24A3 as mentioned) be easily offset by the power ceiling and ease of access to off the shelf aftermarket parts?

That is the main concern with the B20A6, I have built a fully forged one in the past and that was very expensive to source parts for however not impossible. The same can be stated for the Mitsubishi engine but givens its size, presents an interesting option. It is an interesting point of discussion, because if you could fit any engine into the front of a EG Civic, what would be the best? Ideally I would like to stay FWD as going RWD would take up a lot of underbody aero advantages that the FWD layout presents.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by longerpay2 View Post
    It is an interesting point of discussion, because if you could fit any engine into the front of a EG Civic, what would be the best? Ideally I would like to stay FWD as going RWD would take up a lot of underbody aero advantages that the FWD layout presents.
    Out of the options you have mentioned, a K24/K20A FWD setup will be the best for the SMSP track without a doubt.

I would imagine any money saved by using an old prelude engine or non-honda unit will need to be used for all the custom work anyway. Remember that you're comparing engines/transmissions that have no off the shelf conversion parts (for an EG) to ones that have everything you need already developed and readily available.

I'm sure you know about the EG that JDMyard won open class with this year, that is a good example of what can be done this way.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    Out of the options you have mentioned, a K24/K20A FWD setup will be the best for the SMSP track without a doubt.

I would imagine any money saved by using an old prelude engine or non-honda unit will need to be used for all the custom work anyway. Remember that you're comparing engines/transmissions that have no off the shelf conversion parts (for an EG) to ones that have everything you need already developed and readily available.

I'm sure you know about the EG that JDMyard won open class with this year, that is a good example of what can be done this way.
    It is definitely an interesting point of discussion and given this will be the first time this car has run and the main focus being on aerodynamics and weight, the powertrain will probably end up being a B18 or a K24 but considering all the available options is something I am really keen to do. And powertrain has a long wait ahead, more updates on the wide body progress tomorrow.

Holden 186?

Struggling to work out whether this thread is serious or a piss take.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    Holden 186?

Struggling to work out whether this thread is serious or a piss take.
    Similar to the B20A6, it is in engine that I have experience and available. Would be an immense project to put one in a civic and do a complete RWD conversion. Not a probable option but still in brainstorming phase for powertrain

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    If your doing something this extreme and open for suggestions.
    4G63 from EVO 8. My EVO 9 put down 258kWs on mostly stock car. DW300C + ID1000s + 3in exhaust turbo back only budget spec MRT lols + BOV + 3port boost controller + Pipe from turbo out to intercooler on e85.

Similar Deck height and use of transverse gearbox should make for an easy swap if Track car.

Precision Auto do 800hp builds for for under 14k Long block - Fcuking bang for buck. I have spent similar on my ej257 and im only at 400hp.
    https://precisionautomotiveracing.co...ges/evolution/

Again Idunno your budget and if your looking to place to top 10 at WTAC i think your gonna need heaps of power + reliability.

With about 20K you already be at power levels of big hitters of WTAC with reliability.
    Last edited by amant02; 04-11-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    If your doing something this extreme and open for suggestions.
    4G63 from EVO 8. My EVO 9 put down 258kWs on mostly stock car. DW300C + ID1000s + 3in exhaust turbo back only budget spec MRT lols + BOV + 3port boost controller + Pipe from turbo out to intercooler on e85.

Similar Deck height and use of transverse gearbox should make for an easy swap if Track car.

Precision Auto do 800hp builds for for under 14k Long block - Fcuking bang for buck. I have spent similar on my ej257 and im only at 400hp.
    https://precisionautomotiveracing.co...ges/evolution/

Again Idunno your budget and if your looking to place to top 10 at WTAC i think your gonna need heaps of power + reliability.

With about 20K you already be at power levels of big hitters of WTAC with reliability.
    Thanks for the input. Probably a little over budget but would make for a pretty amazing build.

No updates over the weekend, personal life got really busy and I ran out of body filler. Probably won't get an opportunity to work on the car for a few weeks now with work commitments but plenty of parts to be order so will be getting some new goodies.

A few goodies have arrived, bit of work to do be done before these can start to get ready for mounting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	30204
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	30205

Edit: How do I rotate these images hahaha

Member Array