Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Accord Lux

Accord Luxury (and others) 7th Gen replace OEM headunit for more options

Hey All... not really liking my chances for informed replies since the last thread started on ICE here was back in June '17, but here goes anyways...

I started off wanting to just add bluetooth to my newly acquired 2006 V6 Luxury Accord... got sidetracked in Googling etc and wound up looking at quite a number of Chinese full headunit replacements found on eBay, Alibaba and the like. Ok, Chinese stuff not the best but at least some work ok... not looking to improve on audio quality above OEM, very satisfied with the Honda standard option as far as audio quality goes in my ride... it's just that I got roped into adding GPS, DVD, bluetooth etc at a reasonable layout of $$$ to add these features without bastardising the dash at all (Kudos to MikeCl, though, his work on here which I have read in detail is outstanding). The units on offer all have one thing in common: replacing the whole headunit including the surrounding garnish without changing fitment shape but at the same time giving an 8" or even a 10" (at a stretch) screen to accommodate the GPS/DVD. They all offer GPS software (usually IGO when I repeatedly asked the question) with free lifetime updates for maps & software. One of them even offered free OBDII, and some offer free post. The best part is that is all plug & play (really!). My search was for '03 to '07, but the Euro models and newer models also came up.

Got overwhelmed with the options... check for yourself on Google... options were Win CE OS, older and newer versions of Android OS, varying RAM, ROM and CPU options (like anything from single to octa core), with price generally reflecting chosen option. A few links are here: Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4. Sub-links on each page will lead you to many more.

Soo-oo-oo, the burning question is: has anyone on here done this (search found nothing) and could you give some feedback? Also, a special request... if you have navigated away from OzHonda for some time now, please give some thought to return. It seems to me that this forum needs the invaluable input from past and present members to get it happening again!

If I don't hear anything, I'll very likely fork out $400AUD or so and guinea pig my car, with a report back on here.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    I believe one or 2 people have done this on their accord euro and works ok.

You probably want the fastest cpu available. Since you are ally just buying an android ipad thing for your car.

The only problem is the aircon controls. The sides are flipped because those thing are made for left hand drive not right hand drive
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Accord Lux
    Thanks Fred... still looking at the myriad of options available. As far as CPU, I got to thinking, it's only running a very basic setup compared to say, my desktop with a quad core and high end other stuff. As for theD and P controls, maybe they can be pulled off and swapped over? The left still controls the left and so for the right if my thinking is correct. Anyway I'm in no hurry, I'll bide my time until deciding on something.

Cheers for the input. I'll report back here whenI take the plunge.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    What I am getting from forums both here and OS is that these conversions work better starting with the non-GPS / non-touch screen dash.
    Last edited by Richard B; 14-11-2017 at 11:13 AM. Reason: words
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Accord Lux
    Hmmm... ok. In a moment of madness I splashed out and ordered the 10.1" screen version of the fully fitting/ replacement unit, should be here in a week or two... might do a write up with pics of remove/ install and post up here, I'll see how I go.

Will be interested to hear your feedback. The AC controls is what would put me off, having them on the wrong side would be annoying, that and how well the climate control actually works compared to stock. Otherwise I love the idea. I've currently got a double din unit down near the gear lever and it does get annoying having it so far below eye level...