Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 04

2004 CL9 Accord Euro - need help tracking down potential causes of hard starts

hey all,

I'm going to prefix this by saying I'm not a mechanic, and I only have a very vague knowledge of technical terms, how cars work, and that I will try and describe the problem to the best of my ability.

I've owned this car for about 1.5 yrs, and I've had to replace the battery, alternator and starter motor so far (each has failed individually). Recently, in the last 2 months, the engine will be hard to turn over after it's been sitting for a period of 24+ hours, sometimes taking 3-4 seconds (approx 7 cranks) when it would usually only take 1-2 seconds (approx 3 cranks) before it starts. It is especially difficult to start if I leave it outdoors overnight rather than put it in my garage. While it's similar to how it was behaving when the battery was failing, I've bought a multimeter, googled to figure out how to use it, and recorded the voltage of the battery to be about 12v with accessories turned on and it still struggles to turn over. This leads me to believe it may be something to do with the fuel injection system, or possibly the EVAP system (the purge solenoid in particular).

This may be related. Very occasionally when I go out for a short drive to the shops or servo, the car will be extremely difficult to start and practically stall if I don't give it a little bit of throttle while starting (seems to happen more often after filling up at the servo). I paid a mechanic look at it but he wasn't able to replicate the problem and couldn't offer any more advice than to wait for something to break and to try dumping fuel injector cleaner into the tank.

I know you guys can't diagnose me over the internet, but if anyone has had a similar issue I'd love to hear if you've resolved it, or if you have any insight into what's going on. Also if anyone knows any reliable mechanics in brissy northside I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    1. Do you Prime your fuel pump before starting? If there's a significant difference between numbers between cranks prime vs non primed. Then fuel pump is likely to be the culprit

2. Have you checkout the conditions of your battery and engine grounding points?
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Also the fuel filter needs replacement every 80k kms.

Fuel injector additive is very rough on the fuel filter, since it strips crap off the fuel tank just as much as the injectors

... And it will be the fuel filters job to catch the crap.

Regardless do an upper engine clean (Throttlebody intake manifold and valves) like they do for the Subarus, in case it's a sticky throttle.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Connect a single jump start lead from the negative battery terminal to one of the mounting bolts of the starter. Any improvements?
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon