93 Accord CB7 electrical problem

Hello all. Last week we had heavy rain and the next day my wipers came on by themselves and the same time the speedo went down to zero, both left and right dash blinker lights came on and the green S light started flashing. I sprayed some electrical cleaner in the fuse area next to the accelerator. Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Transmission fault code.. likely the speedo sensor has failed. Read this:

https://www.justanswer.com/honda/16q...t-flashes.html

and then this:

http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/sh...s-on-91-Accord
    Last edited by Richard B; 16-01-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Current: 2006 i-CTDi Tourer 1994 VTI Accord Wagon

Hello Richard.I don't think it's the speed sensor. I changed at about a year ago. Now the wipers just come on by themselves for maybe 10 seconds then stop and they do it randomly, the speedo stays normal

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    The green S flashing does indicate a gearbox fault though.

It's possible I guess, but the green light only flashed the day after the heavy rain, that's when the speedo went to zero. Now I don't get any flashing green light or zero speedo just a random operation of the wipers by themselves.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 & 06 Accord
    Perhaps you could check if any of the wires to gearbox solenoids and sensors have corrosion?

It could also be that something isn't earthed or connecting properly and is trying to earth through something in the wiper circuit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	30212

Unless someone who has had this problem chimes in I don't think much can be figured out online. I can't think of any obvious cross-overs in the gearbox and wiper circuitry except perhaps in the internal or engine bay fuse boxes.

With a car your vintage, corrosion in electrical connections is to be expected. I wouldn't just spray stuff with cleaner. I'd physically pull out fuses and relays and push them back in a couple of times to clean the contact areas. Ground connections to the body and chassis usually played up first in my older cars.

BTW have you asked on any of the US sites? Your generation accord was quite common there wasn't it? And they drive in rain and salt spray so they know a thing or 2 about corrosion over there..
    Last edited by Richard B; 17-01-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Richard. It would be hard to figure out online. It doesn't seem to be a common problem. I like my old Honda and it goes great. Even an auto electrician would have a hard time fixing a random problem that goes for 10-15 seconds. I couldn't imagine the wipers are somehow connected to the gearbox wiring. Where is the TCU located on 93 right hand drive Honda? The sites I looked at were all American. I could try the earth points.

Hello again. Here is an update to my previous message. Today I was coming home from work and this time the wipers went off by themselves for a couple of minutes and the left dash blinker light came on, the speedo went up and down from zero to the speed limit, the green s light was flashing on and off. After a couple of minutes the wipers went off, the speedo was normal but this time the green s light stayed a constant on and off flashing till I got home. Isn't there normally a series of short and long flashes to get the codes? Not a constant flashing, BTW how do you get the codes?

Another update to my update. I located the TCU and pulled the cover off and the circuit board looks brand new. I managed to get the codes and the CEL displayed code 17 and the green S light code 4. Both codes point to the speed sensor but as I previously mentioned I only changed it a year ago, however, I don't see how that relates to the wipers going off by themselves.