Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Jazz Vti

Power mirrors 9 wire vs 7 wire system on GD3 manual Jazz?!?

So I had a CVT 2007 Jazz a few years ago. It was a relatively expensive, beautiful car - but I hated the WHIRRRR of the transmission, reminded me of riding a snowmobile or a really cheap moped. So yesterday I came across same kind of car with a manual transmission - absolutely filthy dirty, not properly maintained and one broken mirror literally jammed onto two pieces of twig to keep it from flapping on the end of its wires. It was cheap and love at first sight.

It has some other issues, but fixing the mirror had to be step one. Couldn't find just the right thing at local wreckers, so I got a new aftermarket one (unpainted, matt black plastic) from a place that warned me it was a 9 wire system, not 7 wire like the broken original. As seven of the wires were colour coded and placed identically I went for it thinking the extra two (grey) wires would simply be redundant.

However having installed it, operating the (R) dashboard switch UP/DOWN makes this mirror go LEFT/RIGHT and operating the switch LEFT/RIGHT makes the signal light go on WTF? If I manually push both mirrors in, turning on the ignition makes them both pop out automatically so that's a step in the right direction. So I could take it to bits, cut all the wires and solder them so as to sort it out, but I bet someone on this forum has come across this and can tell me what the secret is.

Of course, too late I looked on eBay and saw for the same $150 I could probably have got a perfectly good used one mailed to me. But I need a safety certificate so I'm in a hurry to make it at least look original. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

First things first. Don't push the mirrors in manually. You will break the plastic gear inside if you do that. It is not designed to be folded in manually.

You can buy replacement gears online. Here's the design if you need to 3D print a replacement:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:79040

There are different numbers of wires depending on if the mirrors have indicators, are folding or have defoggers. Here are some circuit diagrams: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/body_nav...n_mirrors.html

Instead of cutting the wires you can re-pin the connectors.

Good luck with it!

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Jazz Vti
    Thank you for the reply. Yes rearranging the pins on the big white plug will be the best option - but even taking the original (now useless) one apart I just can't see how to remove and replace those pins. It can't be by pulling out the wires from the rear, otherwise installing the plug would push them out the back. And there's no way to "push" them out the front - there's no way to pull them out in that direction. I see very tiny rectangular holes adjacent to each pin-hole and tried pushing a needle into some of them to see if that released the pins. Even cutting off the surface clip leaves me no wiser, so what's the trick?

There are heaps of guides out there and having the right tools certainly helps.

Here's a good set of diagrams: https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...esses-2866324/

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Jazz Vti
    Original (Australian spec') mirror
    Wire Combination Polarity Observed Function

blue -
    yellow + right
    brown + down

blue +
    yellow - left
    brown - up

purple + light on (polarity sensitive)
    pink -

black - fold inwards
    white +

black + fold outwards
    white -

Aftermarket mirror
    Wire Combination Polarity Observed Function

purple -
    yellow + up
    brown + left

purple +
    yellow - down
    brown - right

blue + light on (polarity sensitive)
    pink -

So just crossing the purple and blue wires made the light work
    Now switch UP/DOWN moves mirror LEFT/RIGHT and vice versa I can't see an easy way to correct this
    Also for some reason the new mirror only folds out when I first start the car (and have the push button in the correct position) so passable, but not ideal. Grey (heater) wires unused and black/white unchanged.