So I had a CVT 2007 Jazz a few years ago. It was a relatively expensive, beautiful car - but I hated the WHIRRRR of the transmission, reminded me of riding a snowmobile or a really cheap moped. So yesterday I came across same kind of car with a manual transmission - absolutely filthy dirty, not properly maintained and one broken mirror literally jammed onto two pieces of twig to keep it from flapping on the end of its wires. It was cheap and love at first sight.

It has some other issues, but fixing the mirror had to be step one. Couldn't find just the right thing at local wreckers, so I got a new aftermarket one (unpainted, matt black plastic) from a place that warned me it was a 9 wire system, not 7 wire like the broken original. As seven of the wires were colour coded and placed identically I went for it thinking the extra two (grey) wires would simply be redundant.

However having installed it, operating the (R) dashboard switch UP/DOWN makes this mirror go LEFT/RIGHT and operating the switch LEFT/RIGHT makes the signal light go on WTF? If I manually push both mirrors in, turning on the ignition makes them both pop out automatically so that's a step in the right direction. So I could take it to bits, cut all the wires and solder them so as to sort it out, but I bet someone on this forum has come across this and can tell me what the secret is.

Of course, too late I looked on eBay and saw for the same $150 I could probably have got a perfectly good used one mailed to me. But I need a safety certificate so I'm in a hurry to make it at least look original. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.