FWD Drag 'boxes?

'lo all,

After seeing a the purpose built drag civics and integras posted here a few days ago, I started to wonder what type of gear boxes do they use.

Are there aftermarket FWD gear boxes available? If I wanted a RWD box, I could just visit the nearest Jerico, Lenco or Hollinger dealer. I could also use one of the many power glide build kits.

Do simmilar boxes / kits exist for FWD cars, or are they custom fabricated for each car? I'd certainly hate to have to plow through 5 gears down a strip...

Member Array
    Car:
    92 integra LS TURBO,96gsi
    as far as i know most hondas drag cars use pretty stock boxes, mine is fine with 200kw , i know of cars with double that and more using stock boxes, honda boxes be good if you know how to drive....

any honda ive seen posted on the net or at WSID etc - has used stock gearboxes - onyl with driveline upgrades such as stornger driveshafts , differentials and clutch upgrades. Honda seems to make them strong enough - break it and jsut buy another

Better than some dog box worth $5k or so lol.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Yeahh.......generally driveshafts are the first to break provided you don't blow an Input shaft bearing (the first to go that will kill your gearbox).

Most hi-po drag cars have a few spare boxes and just rebuild their blown ones!
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Quote Originally Posted by joonix
    'lo all,

After seeing a the purpose built drag civics and integras posted here a few days ago, I started to wonder what type of gear boxes do they use.

Are there aftermarket FWD gear boxes available? If I wanted a RWD box, I could just visit the nearest Jerico, Lenco or Hollinger dealer. I could also use one of the many power glide build kits.

Do simmilar boxes / kits exist for FWD cars, or are they custom fabricated for each car? I'd certainly hate to have to plow through 5 gears down a strip...
    There are 3 FWD dog box's made here in Australia and they are all exported oversea's the company's are
    Modena Engineering ( Melbourne )
    Pfitzner Performance Gearbox's ( South Australia) www.ppgearbox.com.au
    PAR Engineering ( Sydney ) www.par-engineering.com
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group

Thanks for the information guys.

Looks like it's dog boxes. I suppose depending on the gearing, you wouldn't have to move through as many gears.