Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    technicolour dream coats and flower power! F1 2020

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    Why do you want unlimited aero? What would be the point of that? There are some huge benefits of reducing aero.

- more overtaking
    - more sliding
    - more skill
    - less speed = safer
    - makes them focus on better mechanical grip (as Andy said) which could actually improve OUR cars in the future. Focussing on getting the grip in the suspension, tyres, diffs... that technology will help our cars.

Jazz Moderator Array
    Car:
    2003 GD3 Fit
    less speed = boring!

Everyone knows that the drivers are potentially putting their lives on the line every time they go out, but in all seriousness, is lopping a few seconds a lap off the times of the cars really going to make them that much safer? We're talking the difference between say 320kmh and say 305kmh down a straight....you're still gonna be f*cked up at that pace if you lose it.

I am all for making sure there is a decent element of driver skill involved in the driving as this quickly sorts out the champions from the wannabes.

I think the current setup of rules is relative good if only they would fix the tyre changing and the qualifying....I think the effectiveness of the changes is evident in the sheer diversity and excitement we have seen so far this season.

I think Max gets bored and likes changing things for the sake of it.

yes, less speed = bad. More speed = More overtaking....think about it lol.
    WDM. World Domestic Market.

Subaru y0!

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    Well, with less downforce, they might even be faster down the straights! (depending on the circuit)
    It's more a case of 150km/h in a corner where they'd normally be able to go 180km/h. They're still on the limit though.

I would argue that it's far from boring! Still bloody fast, much more sliding and much closer racing. It's far from being safe but it is slightly safer.
    It is a minor factor, but a factor all the same, so I put it on the list.

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    More speed = more overtaking? How do you figure that?

I'm going on the impression some make more speed and others

Subaru y0!

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    Lol, well it's a bit hard to go past someone when you're going slower than them.

the thing is, even if ur much faster with aero downforce grip rather than mechanical grip, once u reach that zone where u get into the front cars dirty air, the aero downforce doesnt give its full effect, ie once u hit the dirty air its hard to control ur car. Therefore to overtake is really really difficult, u can see this when even the car behind is almost 2 seconds faster (thats alot on the track), that they cant overtake

Your all forgetting, that if the track is new and suits F1 cars like Bahrain, Turkey etc they can be fast and overtake.

Its just the old tracks don't allow it.

good point, good point. And yeah martin and james often talking about how the aero becomes terrible becuase your driving through turbulent air

Subaru y0!

Member Array
    Car:
    '95 Civic EG VTi hatch
    Basically, the car behind goes faster on the straight because it's pushing less air. But if you're behind in the corners... less downforce, less grip, have to go slower. But if you reduce the downforce then it becomes less of a problem.
    So you enter the corners right on the tail of the slower car infront, but you have to go slower through the corners so when you hit the straight, they're already going a lot faster.

I get frustrated when someone who is obviously faster gets stuck behind someone for 10 laps. The leader tears away never to be seen again and the race is over before it began. You see these freight trains of faster cars caught behind a slug Toyota. We see it time and time again. It leads to incidents and spectacular desperation, but it's not good racing.

This is just my opinion, obviously you're free to have your own. But I'd much prefer to sacrifice a bit of the downforce, a bit of the speed for closer, more competetive racing with more exciting overtaking. It wouldn't make it like Supercars, 'cos there's still a crapload of brilliant engineering in the cars.