Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    baron

Head Gasket replacment costs???

Hey guys, could someone give me an idea of where my $700 goes when I take my car to say ART and get a head gasket replaced?

As in it costs
    $100 for parts
    $300 for machining
    $200 labour

etc etc

I mainly want to know how much goes into labour.

Thanks

Nick

head gasket = $50 odd....labour = EVERYTHING else.

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    how much is machining of the head?

Head need to be stripped down for it?

Quote Originally Posted by SIKCVC
    how much is machining of the head?

Head need to be stripped down for it?
    machining of the head AFAIK , is "stripping down" - that is , IF the previous gasket blew, then the head will be slightly warped and need to be machined to fit flush.Are you replacing the headgasket due to age/refresh rebuild or because the headgasket actually blew/leaked ?

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    leaked

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    ben, genuine gasket from honda doesnt cost $50
    what are they doing to the head? ive got an itemised receipt in my car at home, of the costs of everything they did.. if ur gonna pull the head, get some cams and new ssprings, port it out and make some power.. drop in a thinner headgasket and up ur compression a bit..

when i got my sohc head done, it cost ~750 all up, includeing machine, line honing camshaft bearings, p&P, valve job, new gaskets on everything, acid bath and porting/matching intake and exhaust manifolds. thats walk in and out with the head though, no labour to pull it.

headgasket was $70aud from the US.

replacement of headgasket, ur looking at around 80hrX5 hrs or less by a pro.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    baron
    Nah, not ****ing around with honda anymore, Looking at upgrading so just want to get it fixed so I can sell it. Want to do everything right, because my g/f is a prospective buy as well and I dont want to give anyone a lemon.

So looking at around $700 if i walked into a head shop with a manifoldless head? or stripped head? Taking the head and man's off is easy but i dont want to deal with the cams side of thing.

Member Array
    Car:
    '93 Prelude
    $300 for machining? I paid $66 to get my head machined

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    ditto to that...

Random Array
    Car:
    VW Caddy
    i just paid 350 for a complete head recon. If your going to be replacing the head gasket you should be replacing all the other seals and gaskets as well. Mind you the gasket kits from honda are a rip off for DOHC. Mine set me back 450 or so. Then labour all up was 480.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    yeah dude, if your head is off, get them to reseat the valves, replace the valve stem seals. if your head is warped, they can charge anywhere from 200 to 500 to get it ture. a Honda VRS Kit is about 300 bucks if I remember corectly, which includes, head gasket, intake and exhaust gaskets, valve stem seals and any other ness gaskets.

head shaving should only cost around 60 to 70 bucks if thats all they do to it.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    yeah walk in with the manifoldless head and save urselve a bundle. they will pull everything off for u during the recon.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.