Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries

Owen's Hybrid EG5 Hatch

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" id="AutoNumber1" border="0" bordercolor="#111111" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="justify">
    Brief Specs

Owner: Owen
    Car Model: 1992 EG Si hybrid hatch
    Engine: B18C2/B16A2 Hybrid DOHC VTEC
    ECU: Hondata S200
    Exhaust:: 4-1 header with 2.5 inch collector, Buddy Club 2 mated to a xforce twin loop
    Transmission: OEM 5 speed manual gearbox
    Suspension / Handling: Koni Yellow fully adjustable dampers, Eibach Sportsline springs
    Brakes: DBA 282mm slotted rotors / CRV calipers (front), Integra Vti-R disks / calipers (rear)
    Audio/Video: Pioneer Deck, stock front speakers, rears removed
    Misc: OEM front lip, de-badging, 15x6.5 Bronze Rota Slipstream, weight reduction

Owen’s 1992 hybrid hatch is not something you would expect to fly past you on the streets of Sydney given its simple cosmetic modifications, low ride height and humble appearance. In fact pulling up next to it at a set of lights, you would merely pass it off as just another dumped civic riding on some pretty rims. Look carefully though and the only thing giving away what lurks beneath is the oversized stopping hardware sitting snugly inside those 15 inch rims. So snug that you could barely fit your hand between the rim and the large 282mm Type R spec DBA disks and CRV calipers. The stoppers were sourced to complement the increased output of the car and some custom work was involved including having to shave a bit off the caliper and the use of a Vti-R parts to complete the fit onto the EG. This is probably the only give away to what lurks beneath this dirty monster. Why dirty? Well because that’s the way the owner likes her and that’s exactly how she turned up for the photo shoot! Lots of dust, dirt and fingerprints…….so much that even I had doubts as to whether we had the right car or stumbled across a lost black EG! Powered by a b18C2 Integra Vti-r block and bottom end, the owner decided to go for the better flowing head of the b16a2 which has flow patterns similar to the hand machined Integra Type R unit. There is a resulting loss in compression but this was to be dealt with later down the track. Humble is a good way to describe both car and owner although when unleashed humble is far from the truth. The EG has to it a weight advantage over most other cars including the Integra type R which is around 40Kgs heaver despite all its weight reduction.

After getting some quick photos in before we lost too much light I had the chance to speak to the owner about what his approach was towards the car and what he had planned for her.

What made you choose Honda, in particular your model?
    Love the EG shape, this is my 4th EG in a row, and the fact that it’s a light chassis for a simple B series transplant, appealed to me. This was the main reason with the intention of an engine transplant.

What made you join Ozhonda and what part of it keeps you coming back?
    Hondas and to be able to share my interest in Hondas with other enthusiast made it an appealing forum to be part of.

What made you say 'yes' to the Ozhonda feature car?
    Share my ride with other Honda enthusiasts!

What made you choose the b16a/b18c combination?
    Well at the time, 18months ago, there weren’t too many hybrids around, and the price of a Type R motor, if you could source one, was “expensive”. I had read up on the “poor mans” Type R and was sold on the idea as it had a lot of potential, both down the N/A path and boosted so it also left the door open for me with regards to the type of mods I could do down the track.

The b16a head on the b18c block leads to a loss in compression. Are there any plans for high compression pistons or a comparison of say a stock B18C versus your hybrid?
    Yes there were plans for internal mods, NA related, but unfortunately time was and is not on my side, as she is my daily driver I can’t afford to have her off the road for long periods of time. Having said that, I had been sourcing parts with this in mind, TODA Pistons, TODA Spec B cams and springs have been purchased.

Why not just a B16A or B18C swap?
    I’ve owned a B16A EG before, so I was after a more powerful platform and something different with potential. I’m not saying that a standard B18C2 doesn’t have potential but the appeal of a better flowing head on a larger capacity block sold me.

Is your EG what some call a "Poor mans Type R"? How does it compare with the genuine article?
    Yes. Well compared in what sense? Just straight power @ the wheels… or another EG with a genuine ITR motor running head to head on track or down the quarter? Unfortunately I haven’t been able to compare it too another ITR equipped EG as much as I’d love too.
    When getting my Hondata tuned @ Dyno Dave’s there were a batch of cars there also being tuned, ranging from other hybrid EGs to a JDM type R track car, and a variety of DC5’s.
    Comparing it to the JDM Type R track car with similar mods (I/H/E) he pulled 119fwkw, and my EG hybrid managed to squeeze out 113fwkw, same dyno, same day. Now whether he was being tuned for a specific track/circuit, or race etc is another story!
    Every motor is different with so many variables adding to its potential or lack of, but she does hold her own with an ITR down the quarter, quicker than some and slower than some. But I do believe that with the correct choice of mods the B18C/B16A hybrid can be a potent NA motor. She is a comparable, and I guess a cheaper option to an extent, to the genuine thing.

I noticed the addition of an aftermarket ECU to your setup complimented by an Intake/Header Exhaust system that saw a very impressive increase. Were you expecting such gains?
    Yes, with Hondata I was expecting gains, but not as big an increase as I got, I was very pleased. Not only did she make more power on paper, but her drivability had changed, she was more responsive, a lot more pull down low, and awesome rev-ability. A punchy, high revving motor. I was very happy!

You had some bad luck with your last EG. Could you fill us in on that?
    Yes, owned a 95 model breeze, and performed a back yard engine conversion with an EG6 front cut, which took me 3 months. Had her on the road for only 4-5months, she was taken literally from my door step, and found burnt out. This was devastating to me… I wouldn’t have felt as bad if I hadn’t poured my own blood sweat and tears into this project but it was a good learning curve for me!

You did your first conversion yourself but had someone do the second
    conversion. Any reason for that?

Yes, well the first conversion as I said took me 3months, most of which was done on weekends and week nights when I felt like it and was pretty straight forward… Drop out of front cut, bolt into chassis the new one! I would’ve loved to do it again however the main reasons I didn’t were time, and sourcing the motor. There weren’t too many B18Cs around and with the decision of a “poor mans” Type R, head swapping etc the engine work was way out of my reach and the reach of my tools...or lack of!

Are you a track or drag person?
    Well I can’t answer that in all fairness as I have only dragged. From what I have heard and been told, that if I enjoyed the drags, I would most certainly enjoy tracking. The thought of hammering the Hybrid through bends, and revving her @ the limits of the power band, I must say does appeal to me more than straight line runs. So I’m pretty certain, if I did lose my track virginity I would be a track person.

If Track/Drag, then have you tracked/dragged your car, how did you go? Any plans to track/drag your car?
    I’ve been to 2 times to WSID street meets now with a best run of 14.4. There have been plans to track her but again… time is my main problem!

Problems are a common occurrence with engine swaps. What was the biggest hurdle for you and if you could do it again how would you do it right?
    If I was to do it again, I would choose the same motor setup (B18C/B16A) but this time I would get all the internals done before the motor was put in.

So what's the next major mod?
    Well as you may or may not know the car is for sale, but the next mods that were planned for it, and as I said before, have already been purchased, were Cams/Pistons.

Where do you see yourself in say the 2 years in terms of your car/interest in cars / this car?
    Well hopefully in 2 years, I will be able to have another project car (definitely a Honda).

What advice would you give to others considering this conversion using the B18C/B16A combination? Would you recommend this conversion or a straight B16A or B18C swap?
    Go for it, it’s a reliable, strong, high revving 1.8L with an awesome base for both NA and boost. I would definitely recommend it if you are going to go for all after market internals such as TODA. It’s an awesome base!

What's your opinion of rice?
    Things that go *BLING*…

Finally, VTEC or Boost?
    Vtecccc!

Just a quick update that not long after this interview was done the car was sold and now has a new owner. Good news is that the owner himself is an Ozhonda member so it’s good to know we will still be hearing about this beast from time to time so keep a look out in the forums!

I would like to thank Owen for taking time to be part of the Ozhonda feature car and for sharing his thoughts and opinions.

-Win</td><td align="center" valign="top">

More Images
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    ap1
    Wow, nice ride owen... perfect Job, cant find any room for improvement anywhere. Good work

Nice write up Win, Very well layout and good questions asked.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    thats one swish ride
    CXi POWER

That is one tight eg!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Ventura Bus Route
    awsome write up and unreal car
    nice eg!!

Newcomer Array