CT9A
    VTEC > MIVEC

*thread locked* lol
    arrowz
    SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK4
    Mivec is incredibly over-rated in my opinion. If it were really good then it would have the parts support of VTEC but it doesn't and I don't think ANYTHING is available for the Mivec engines. A perfect example is putting a 6A12 Mivec engine into a Mirage. It is a big V6 engine with Mivec and even in a light Mirage a high 14 will be the best time it will do. Put a smaller K20A or H22A into an EG and it's a different story all together. Another good comparison is the new Colt vs the Jazz. Colt has a 1.5L DOHC Mivec engine while the Jazz has a 1.5L SOHC VTEC engine. The Jazz destroys the Colt on the road and this is proof enough that Mitsubishi sucks and Honda is the king

Member Array
    Car:
    usdm whore
    Sir. yes Sir.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 SiR & CRV
    I believe VTEC engines run higher compression as well.. correct me if I am wrong.
    [EXE Crew]
    JDM EF9 SiR

Agreed !
    I give a
    and Mitsubishi a

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    my first hand experience with a MIVAC motor was when I was doing Motorkhanas last year... a guy i met through those events (don't know him much at all but met him) - drives a Lance which he put in a 1.6L Mivec motor in - from the 1.5L the car used to have. it was meant to have been setup for rally/track...

but in the end i was comming into the garage about 1-2 seconds faster than him every time. And my car wasn't even vtec. Just a stock 1.6L D16A8.
    So yes - i'd say Mivac isn't as GREAT as mitsi would probably want it to be - nonethe less - its good to see them trying...
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXi
    MIVEC vs VTEC...

VTEC wins!
    CXi POWER

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    DCFOUR
    MIVEC no competition for VTEC!

u kno why?
    cos the transition in vtec is instant. the valve opens fully when it engages
    mivec opens the valve gradually making a smooth transition
    that is why there is more kick in vtec
    mitsubishi does this because their engines can't handle the strain and also cos dumb honda patented it that way. other wise every other car will have vtec.

Quote Originally Posted by SiR CRX
    Mivec is incredibly over-rated in my opinion. If it were really good then it would have the parts support of VTEC but it doesn't and I don't think ANYTHING is available for the Mivec engines.
    *How about vtec controllers that are compatible with both systems?

Think about that for a bit- That is exactly the same sort of comment i used to see coming out of all the other car related forums, only it has been levelled at hondas and vtec.

How about some of you give some technical explanations as to exactly what makes mivec better than vtec.

As far as i know they are conceptually very, very similar. I've even read snippets here and there about mitsubishi paying royalties to honda for certain parts of the system. I've always taken that with a grain of salt but you never know...

Feel free to correct me as necessary.
    And so it begins...