Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    None ATM

The Honda Jazz Exhaust Guide

This thread is Work In Progress! If you feel information is missing, or have anything to contribute with, please PM me!

Prologue

The purpose of this thread is to gather information related to the Honda Jazz exhaust system. I will try to find all relevant information, links, pictures, reviews and articles related to aftermarket exhaust systems for the Jazz today.

Introduction

In brief terms, the exhaust system on the Jazz consist of a 4-1 header, a catalytic converter, a B-pipe (midsection pipe), and an axleback (muffler). The entire exhaust system on the Jazz, even including the intake, is resonated from the header to the muffler. The resonation helps moving the air from the engine, thru the pipes and out the muffler. Resonation is what keeps the high exhaust output on the small Honda engines, and this is crucial to performance. If you’d like to read more about resonation – see what Wiki has to say about it Here!.

The Header utilizes a 4-2-1 (Tho most would claim it’s a 4-1) design. The Jazz Vti gets a stainless steel header. A picture of the header for the Vti may be found here! Please note that the header collector going into the Cat, requires a donut gasket.

The Cat is directly mounted to the headers collector. To increase flow thru the Cat, Honda chose to mount intake to the Cat with an upward angle, thus giving larger surface area for the exhaust to enter the Cat. A picture of this design may be found Here!.

The B-Pipe carries the exhaust from the Cat to the Muffler. It’s a straight thru pipe, originally 48mm from Honda, with a resonator in the middle. The resonator lowers and smoothens the sound – as well a increasing the exhaust flow thru the mid-section. A picture of the Spoon version of the B-pipe may be found Here!

The Muffler / Axleback is mostly about sound dampening. The design of the muffler, its volume and shape – makes the sound silent, loud, deep, raspy – all depending on application. (Picture coming)

A few nice-to-knows about Jazz Exhaust:

- The stock exhaust diameter for the B-pipe is 48mm OD (Outer Diameter). This is more then enough for a light tuned Naturally Aspirated 1.4/1.5 litre engine.
    - Too large exhaust piping (60mm pluss) will in most cases decrease performance, simply because the exhaust uses more time to leave the engine.
    - A non-resonated exhaust system will decrease performance on a N/A’ed Jazz.
    - 90 percent of power-output from an exhaust system is from the design of the header and the Cat / Testpipe.
    - The design of the primary and secondary runners of the Header decides where the power increase within the power band of the engine is located. Some Headers may give a larger midrange (second 1/3 of the RPM range), while some increase the top end (Last 1/3 of the RPM range) power output of the engine.

Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

Changing the exhaust system on the car is one of the most common modifications to do on ones car today. If done right, it may offer a small increase in horsepower, and a nicer (or ricer) sound to the car. An aftermarket exhaust is rarely considered to be a performance modification (on Jazz that is), but it may play a vital role in power output when other modifications are applied to the engine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoon Sports

Spoon Sports was amongst the first companies to provide aftermarket exhaust for the Jazz/Fit. Like always, their quality in exhaust is top notch, utilizing a stainless steel construction. In good Spoon style, the power is extracted from the higher RPM’s of the powerband. Their performance 4-1 header is very similar to the OEM Vti unit, but utilizes a larger piping, and somewhat larger primary runners.

Spoon also offers a B-pipe and their two normal mufflers for the Jazz. The B-pipe uses 53mm piping. The Spoon B-pipe is a one piece one, which makes shipping a little bit more expensive since the package will be somewhat bigger. As expected from Spoon – both the classic N1 muffler and the Street Type muffler are available for the Jazz.

Spoon Sports 4-2-1 Header – GD1/GD3 – Part number: 18100-GD3-000 – Retail: 745 AUD / 600 USD
    Spoon Sports B-Pipe – GD1/GD3 – Part number: 18220-GDA-002 – Retail: 395 AUD / 320 USD
    Spoon Sports Street Muffler (GD1/GD3) – Part Number: 18030-GDA-000 – Retail: 745 AUD / 600 USD
    Spoon Sports N1 Mufler (GD1/GD3) – Part Number: 18030-GDA-011 – Retail: 425 AUD / 345 USD

Please note that these are Spoon Sports retail prices. For exact pricing, contact your local dealer!

Spoon Sports N1 Silencer:

Spoon Sports Street Type Silencer

More pics here, here, here, and last one here

Trust & Greddy

Trust offers a variety of exhaust systems for the Honda Jazz – from the cheap simple systems – to the more refined and expensive ones. I will list the various systems and a brief description here. All systems are made from Stainless Steel with the only exception of Titanium – which is more durable and lighter then Steel.

MX Muffler

The MX muffler is a bolt-on replacement muffler for the stock unit, in 50mm piping. It offers a nice and quiet sound not too unlike the stock sound.

For GD1 – Part number 10151560 – Retail 360 AUD / 290 USD

Power Muffler

Much like the MX muffler – the Power Muffler is an axleback system. This system is much louder, and offers the well-known N1 design.

For GD1 – Part Number 10153080 – Retail 410 AUD / 325 USD

Beat MAX Ti

The Beat MAX offers a light and strong Titanium muffler with an anodized tip. This muffler also features the N1 design.

For GD1 and GD3 – Part Number 10154130 – Retail 410 AUD / 325 USD

* The regular Beat MAX system is a complete catback system, and will be released late 05.

XForce

X-Force is a fairly new brand to the Honda scene, but has rapidly built up a good reputation. The quality and crafting of their exhaust systems is good, and the use of Stainless Steel is a well-known winner. Little is known about the performance aspects of the X-force exhaust for the Jazz. The X-Force factory can confirm that the system has been di-resonated for the L-series engines – which means that the sound and power is maintained. The silencer features the wellknown N1 style tip, which also helps to provide a deep sound to the exhaust.

This exhaust system is very decent priced. You can get the entire system from Australia for 990 AUD / 650 USD. This includes the header, cat, B-pipe and axleback.

More pics here , here and here

Please Note: This is Work In Progress. I will continue to write on this as time allows for it, and I will need your help to make it as comprehensive as possible.

A list of things I need to expand it (Feedback in PM please):

High quality pictures of the stock exhaust system of the Jazz, for GD1 and GD3 – both mounted and off the car. Diagrams, measurements and tech stuff related to the systems.

Links to producers of aftermarket Jazz systems, pictures of the systems both on an off the car, links to reviews and such is greatly appreciated.

All feedbacks in PM! This thread will be opened to comments for a while, but ones finished, it will be stickied and locked

Thanks for all you help!
    Last edited by strepto; 21-07-2005 at 07:16 PM.

i dun think the oem header for jazz in my car (1.5 litre) is stainless steel.... ahcash, asiansquad have them changed oredy.... may be they can verify my comment....

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k
    Quote Originally Posted by strepto
    [i]-Too large exhaust piping (55mm pluss) will in most cases decrease performance, simply because the exhaust uses more time to leave the engine.
    - A non-resonated exhaust system will decrease performance on a N/A’ed Jazz.
    is that reffering to the B pipe section through? or the acutal muffler?

Member Array
    Car:
    None ATM
    is that reffering to the B pipe section through?
    Thats the bpipe. the piping diam of an exhaust is usually measured at the b-pipe.

Member Array
    Car:
    SY Accord
    word confusion - catalytic converter not a catalyst converter.

Member Array
    Car:
    None ATM
    Corrected I'd still apreciate PMs for additions and corrections

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    jazz VTI

general comprehensive honda exhaust info

Quote Originally Posted by strepto
    Corrected I'd still apreciate PMs for additions and corrections
    below is link for quite comprehensive honda exhaust information - though not Jazz specific, it provides good explanations

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...sp?ArticleID=2

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3 Vti-S, S15 Spec R GT
    great job

nice work, sticky

Member Array
    Car:
    None ATM
    Updated w. a Spoon section. More coming.

I really need pics from your guys exhaust systems, wether they are stock or modified. Please help me out
    Last edited by strepto; 01-07-2005 at 06:03 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3 Vti-S, S15 Spec R GT
    I thought the spoon N1 would cost more than the street style muffler. I would like to get street style though ><

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3,GE8,ZF1
    Spoon Sports N1 Mufler (GD1/GD3)

Spoon Sports Street Muffler (GD1/GD3)2005