Banned Array
    What type of intake should I consider on my ITR DC2? I know that there are different types (im not sure on the sybols) DIY...or whatever. Or should I leave the stock one on and put a replacement air filter in because the engine bay gets mighty hot if you race or thrash it as in any car and common sence just tells me that an air filter thats outside a box would get much hotter and be sucking in hot/warm air instead of cool air from the air box. Or am I just stupid that dosent know what im talking about Anyone with any exp. or thoughts about what I should put in for better air intake without sacrifising the air temp.

Member Array
    Car:
    Stolen DC2R
    majority of people will tell you to drop in a quality filter (k&n, spoon, trust) into your standard box and run a pipe to you front bar for cool air

Member Array
    Car:
    F20C Clubman Build
    I think i have asked about this in my DIY or brand name post inside Technical. Check it out UR2L8. If you consider replacing your standard pod, get one that fits inside the box otherwise you wont beable to place the top cover of the box back on. use the K&N ($119 at autobahn model number RU-2820 ). You will also need a pipe that bends which allows it to fits inside the box. One end of the pipe to the filter and the other end to the rubber hose that connects to the throttle. Have fun!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Speaking from experience with my dc2r, I say keep it stock or save your $ for the mugen. A drop-in doesn't seem to make much, if any difference.

I have experimented with so many different things, but always came back to stock setup. Mugen makes power but costs around $950.

diy = do it yourself... depends what you want, a proper system or a home made system... a proper made system will obviously cost more but will be slightly more beneficial.... companies like injen, dc sports, and aem are popular in the states for making intake systems for the dc2... otherwise liverpool exhausts will also be able to make one for you :P
    フジタエンジニアリング

Banned Array
    OK... so the answer is all over the board. I was thinking about like an intake kit, but im woried it will suck in hot air so then I thought keep the stock box and just put a replancement filter that will have cooler air. But I see so many cars with intake kits in, even Integras with intake kits and so many people without.
    Dont know man what to do....

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Hey UR2L8, i have owned two dc2r's in succession since they came out in '99. I can honestly tell you I have read, tested or researched pretty much every intake there is for ITR. Your options:

1. Stock - is designed well and works great with the rest of the whole engine/exhaust and for a factory setup is very, very good. Just open the filter box every now and again and remove road debris from the filter.

2. Drop-in - Dyno's have shown 1-2 kw gain, mostly top end. Trust, spoon, comptech.

3. DIY - with dropin or whatever. I have never seen these make significant power on an ITR. I have tried different filters, home made boxes, custom made heat shields etc and none have really made enough of a difference for the effort and $$$.

4. Open filter - pod on a stick style. Makes the car sound like a LOUD angry chainsaw in VTEC! Once again maybe a 2kw difference but can really suffer from heatsoak, especially when you have to sit still for a while. It's impossible to drive quitely anywhere. You can actually set off parked car alarms in VTEC if you drive close enough....

5. Comptech Ice box - known to make a good 4 kw, especially peak, but also more power thoughout whole rev range.

6. J's racing sausage - known to make 2-3 kw, similar to pod filter but the shape apparently gives great throttle response, I have never tried one though.

7. AEM/whoever CAI - has interesting power hump around 4000rpm and probably makes a little more power than stock but once again only 2-3kw. I have seen dyno's that show it making less, but its hard to judge a CAI on the dyno.

8. Mugen - the best performer. At least 1.5 times bigger than stock intake and known to make a good 4-5kw, plus it works well if you change to freer flowing extractors and exhaust. Just costs a bomb.

One thing I would look at is the cypher industries or ARC intake arm. This goes between the filter and throttle body and is similar to the J's racing in style. It should allow a bit more to flow in the engine as soon you punch the accelerator.

For more info research the Integra Type R part of honda-tech.com.

ie, http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=704416

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=394445

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=705272

I thin the best option if you are after more power is to buy the best extractors you can and then tune it with Hondata s200. The power will coming in the tuning. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Banned Array
    Thanx very much for that top info. The j's intake seems expencive as well, I think its the carbon fibre one.
    You know any places that sell them? or an idea how much they are?

Once again thanx for that msg.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    I heard from a wise Honda Man by name of Robert from Sydney that the drop-in does not make power but makes the car more efficient. Filters are for efficiency and not for power. CAI (not cold air feed from front bumper) might make some power, but is it really worth the money? The cold air feed, he told me is rubbish
    And finally, he said, that's what's wrong with you people and modifying your Honda. You end up just losing power with your mods. Honda go to great lengths, especially in the Type-R, to tune it to perfection, and if you make a modification to the setup, even if it is a tiny one, 90% of the time it will just make the car unbalanced.
    If you research, and through trial and error, I'm sure you can make your Honda gain power. But stock Type-R is probably the best Type-R out there. Best balanced anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by UR2L8
    Thanx very much for that top info. The j's intake seems expencive as well, I think its the carbon fibre one.
    You know any places that sell them? or an idea how much they are?

Once again thanx for that msg.
    you may not like to hear this ...again, however only tanghy would be able to get that for you.....afterall he is almost like the only guy here in australia that has the direct contacts to j's racing

you don't have to believe me...just ask anyone on clubrsx to confirm if tangy used to have his signature abt j's racing and at the time when everyone reckons j's is GAY...and look at eveyone now..drooling over it

otherwise try to ask your spoon provider if they do j's

J's is open pod though, I have my doubts about whether it will be affected by heatsoak or not. I have seen though that there is a cover for the filter, not sure if this is part of the kit or not. I personally would go Mugen

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    one word, save money by getting frp item instead of bling bling cf item. does the same thing, just cheaper