Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

F20b Vtec Engine Fit In A Ek Hatch

Hey There

Just Wondering.. Will A F20b Vtec Engine Fit In A Ek Hatch ?
    Please Share Your Knowledge..

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    na its a wierd conversion. but better off staying bseries.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    why would you wanna use an F20B? Its a similar conversion to a h22a, except there are less parts available for it

Member Array
    Car:
    12.46@112mph H2
    Dropping the F20B DOHC VTEC (Blue Rocker Cover) is like doing a H series engine swap... Pretty rare motor, but yeh if you want to be different then go for it... that motor is essentially a destroked H22A which has a higher redline
    Formerlly modproject

yea.. lol.. main reason doing it.. is the price for the engines.. F20B is cheaper.. is this a huge project to do.. fitting it in the EK ? no more A/C and power steering.. is that true ?
    i heard the F20B screams when it hits vtec..

Member Array
    Car:
    prelude vti-r & s2k
    you will probably scream when you find out how much that conversion will cost!
    keep the b series

Member Array
    Car:
    12.46@112mph H2
    cheaper? How cheap? what does it come with... You will need the F/H series mount kit, essentially what i covered on a previous post dropping a H22A into a EM1 essentially the same amount of work to get this to fit into a EK chassis... As for A/C and Power Steering can still be retained depending on what engine mount kit you use, if you use HCP you can get the A/C bracket which requires you to use a SOHC Civic A/C Compressor... The engine bay will be pretty crammed its sort of is a tradeoff if your after comfort and drivability stick with a B.... After you work out the sums with the parts you need to get to get it to work you prob think twice... However dont let that stop you
    Formerlly modproject

lol true.. thats the thing.. how much it will cost to convert?
    well for now.. i can get the F cheaper than the b18C5

where do i get engine mounts from ? i can still use my SOHC A/C compressor
    whats the total price to get the engine in chassis do you think bowzer ?

Member Array
    Car:
    12.46@112mph H2
    How much do you have to spend?

$3k-$4k motor?

(optional: replace belts water pump seals, gaskets, fluids ~$700)
    good time do it it then because once the motor is in its pretty much near impossible to do due to limited space...

$600 give or take for Engine Mounts
    $250-$400 mix n matching driveshafts (89-91 Integra Axles) (Accord Intermediate shaft)

Labour:

Disconnecting hoses, flush coolant, drop the tranny oil, disconnect shafts, remove the engine while your at it you prob clean up the engine bay at this point...

B series Shift linkage needs to go, F/H series shifter fitted, the hole will need to be cut out bigger, the linkage housing bolted to the chassis, drilling and routing the linkage through to the engine bay....

Wiring conversion labour best to use orginal EK harness and modify/add/lengthen sensor wires add additional sensors EGR if applicable

Drop the motor into engine bay, hook up the wires and sensors, make some adjustments with some hoses and hook up vacuum lines

Install the shafts, suspension
    optional: i'd would definately advise you to upgrade the brakes... esp if the rears are drums your stock brakes wont handle the additional weight during braking... upgrade to ITR/Lude (17CL15VN) spec calipers (front) the halfcut prob come with them...

Be good idea to upgrade the front spring rates up higher if you got decent set of coil overs then you're prob set...

Exhaust will have to be fabricated, the stock header wont bolt up to the cat so you prob might look at changing the whole exhaust system, modifying the headers to bolt up to the stock exhaust prob something id avoid doing as theres no gain to it. Spend that money on a new setup

Should fire up after that, but from experience there be some minor gremlins to sort out...

Dont believe the myths with the additional handling and weight, you can shed this weight off simply changing cf bonnet, if you choose to not run a/c and p/s well there you go.. even better

I think that sums it up

As for labour it prob depend one your cut arrives, chopped up looms missing sensors parts can delay and hamper with progress... btw this is based assuming the car is orginally Manual
    Formerlly modproject

Member Array
    Car:
    12.46@112mph H2
    total cost rough ball park figure $8K-$9K
    Formerlly modproject

true.. lucky.. i got good connections.. haha