Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Button predicts five-way F1 battle
    '...it's going to be very competitive' [17/02/04 - 13:33]

Jenson Button

jenson Button is predicting a five-way battle for victory in 2004.

The 24-year-old driver, perhaps the most-impressive pre-season performer with his new BAR-Honda, said he had never seen a more competitive situation in F1.

'There are going to be a lot of teams winning races this year,' the Englishman forecast. 'I think it will be a very exciting first race.

'Looking at testing, it's going to be very competitive.'

He said Brackley-based BAR - with its 006 car - has joined Ferrari, BMW-Williams, McLaren and Renault in a 'top-five' of teams capable of winning races.

BAR IS UNDER PRESSURE IN 2004

'And I think all 10 [of those] drivers can win races.'

Button is basing his prophecy on the results of pre-season winter testing even if BAR has been accused of running low-fuel and soft- tyres to veil true pace.

Sources confirm that of the ten grand prix teams, BAR is perhaps under the most pressure as it stares-down its sixth season in the sport without a race-victory.

Furthermore, engine-partner Honda will review its mere participation in the series later this year when a five-year agreement with Brackley comes to an end.

'All the top-five teams have been very close,' Button promised.

'It's very unusual for winter testing.'

Source GMM / CAPSIS International

He has a point, with the new cars this year (manual shifting)
    and other little things, the car reliability drops alot because things are so different...
    But i guess it's F1 and anything can happen :?