Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break Dust

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic 94 vti

Break Dust

hey, ive recently got DBA slottle cross drilled rotars with new pads around 2 months ago and there appears to be excessive break dust... is this normal and occuring from the slotted rotars or just the new pads? havent changed breaking style since the upgrade but noticed dust is so much heavier around my rims...

That's normal when breaking in new pads. Hope you've been going easy on them (minimising squeal) because if you treat them like already broken in components, you'll end up glazing the pads or even fracturing the friction material.
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic 94 vti
    shit hey. what does that mean? (glazing the pads and fracture friction material?)
    i hear fain squeeling when im slowing right down...
    how long to break them in?> like i said i got them 2 months ago...

Glazing is where the pad material becomes too smooth (almost glass like, hence the name) to grip properly against the brake rotor. Apparently, this can be rectified by doing a 100km/h to near zero stop (sometimes 2 are needed) to remove the glazed surface. !BUT! you shouldn't stop altogether as this can cause the pad to make an imprint on the rotor, nor should you apply the handbrake straight after doing this.

Cracking (fracturing the friction material) occurs when too much heat is created in the pad before the material has properly stabilised during the break-in period causing the friction material of the pad to literally crack (not big cracks, usually just hairline fractures). Once this has happened, the pad is useless and will start to fall apart after a short while.

You should have gotten some info on breakin periods with the pads and rotors so have a look (breakin varies for different types of rotors and different pad materials). It's measured in KMs not months so how many have you driven since the upgrade?
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic 94 vti
    about 2500km... they still seem to break fine. i was told to take it easy for first 1000km, did this but breaked really hard only once or twice because i need to, had a little smoke come from the brakes

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    lots of dust in normal so dont worry, it's just the different pad/rotor compounds

Member Array
    Car:
    83,83 & 84 gen1s & 91 CRX
    You will find that some pads will dust more than others.

Its not so much to do with the braking ability but the composition of actual pad.

For exemple normal Bendix pads will leave your wheels almost black after a couple of months use while. Bendix performance leave almost next to none.
    GENONE - 1983 Honda CRX | BANDIT - 1984 Honda CRX/HKS Supercharger | SINISTR - 1991 Honda CRX | RACECRX - 1983 Honda CRX with JDM B16A

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda civic 94 vti
    yeh mine are bendix. not the performance ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 94CIVICVTI
    hey, ive recently got DBA slottle cross drilled rotars with new pads around 2 months ago and there appears to be excessive break dust... is this normal and occuring from the slotted rotars or just the new pads? havent changed breaking style since the upgrade but noticed dust is so much heavier around my rims...
    BRAKE

B_R_A_K_E
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell
    BRAKE

B_R_A_K_E
    Yay, you won the spelling bee! Congratulations tinkerbell!
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

thank you, thank you very much,

it was long long ago in primary school where i learnt to spell...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by 94CIVICVTI
    yeh mine are bendix. not the performance ones.
    my bendix "ultimates" gave off heaps of black dust and ripped the rotors to shreads...
    B20VTEC - since 2002