Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MY02 WRX
    www.f1-live.com

Ralf Schumacher is to leave the Williams-BMW Formula One team and sign for Renault for next season, according to his manager.

Willi Weber told Tuesday's edition of Bild newspaper that he and the younger brother of six-time world champion Michael had agreed all the details with Renault supremo Flavio Briatore.

"We have agreed every point of the contract with Briatore," said Weber. "The signing of the contract is a mere formality."

Ralf, 28, has been unhappy at Williams for a while and even with the impending departure of Colombian team-mate Juan-Pablo Montoya at the end of the season for McLaren - and the expiry of his own contract - he is keen to leave.

Schumacher, winner of six races in 116 Grands Prix, had launched a broadside at the team's boss Frank Williams at the end of February over his ongoing contract negotiations.

"Even if me and my manager Willi Weber would find it hard to leave behind our friends at BMW, there's a chance it could happen. It would be sad but I can't allow myself to be treated like that by Williams," said Schumacher who finished fourth in the season opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday.

"I'm not frustrated. But I find it hard to understand certain things that have happened these past few months." Schumacher claimed that Williams accused him of only being interested in money. "Frank Williams says I'm nothing but a money-grabber. I can only laugh at that. He knows that I would accept to cut my current salary in half," added Schumacher, who finished fourth in the drivers championship last season.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    YIPEEEEEEE
    this means Williams will have 2 spare seats for next year... Enter Mark Webber.... and, umm, Jenson Button.....

Webber will definitely sign with Williams. And from there, the sky's the limit.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    I can see webber going to BMW.....but button wont....So who are we backing as the other williams driver??

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by VTEC16
    I can see webber going to BMW.....but button wont....So who are we backing as the other williams driver??
    Who owns Jenson Button

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    BAR owns JB. They have an option to extend their contract.....and i dont think they will let him go......at any cost.....they know what they've got!

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Ok, lets put it this way - Who was the first team Button dove for and had a long contract until he let Renault (Bennaton still at this time) borrow him

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    i know he used to drive for them....but im telling you that BAR WONT let him go...

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    Quote Originally Posted by VTEC16
    i know he used to drive for them....but im telling you that BAR WONT let him go...
    They don't have a choice. Like Mark Webber is signed to Flavio Briatore and Renault, Button is signed to Sir Frank and Williams. BAR only rent him out... They have a two year deal, but Williams can take him back whenever they want - there is an escape clause - when a seat arises for Jenson Button in Williams, the escape clause can be entered.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    It doesnt quite work like that.....jenson signed a contract, that if BAR wants to renew it, then he HAS to stay with BAR.....at least that is my understanding.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s169/st38724.htm

....like i said....after 2004, BAR has an option for another 2 years....

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 BB6 Prelude VTiR
    This will be interesting. That report doesn;t state anything clearly. For the press release I read 2 years ago, basically said he was tied to Williams for 8 years, and all negotited driver contracts were to include an escape clause should a seat arise within Williams. I have read earlier documents stating slightly different legal terms, but basically I was to the belief that Button was stealable at the conclusion of any season.... Should be interesting, could turn into a tug-of war.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch
    Iv read quite a few recent articles on JB and williams...none have mentioned the clause you stated....that is interesting though....i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I want Jenson to do really well....but id be most happy with him at BAR :cry: