Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why a S2000?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish

Why a S2000?

Hey all,
    friend and i were having a discussion tonight.
    we were wondering where does the $70k go when u buy a S2000.

Why wouldnt someone buy a HSV with almost 300kw and 530nm tourqe for $61k.

From what the official website tells us, the HSV looks better on paper.
    So, what actually makes the S2000 worth the $70,000?

*NOTE: Before Flaming, were not saying ones better than the other..... were just looking to be more....informed.

thanks
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    EG2, GD1, CL9
    mayb s2k is a better built and well balanced vechicle? or it may b the money thrown into the development and engineering?

just a thought

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    I'd rather a S2000 over any HSV. Better petrol consumption, more reliable IMO, more classy and dang hot . Yeah, the HSV has more power but you don't have to be getting more power for money. There'll always be a car which is going to be faster than you anyway. But definitely agree with mr STTICH.
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    the s2000 is underpowered as a sports car for that price i agree iwth ur point. 350z, similar roadster coupe rips it apart if u wanna look at price only.

but ur really paying for a convertible, pure sports car (vs hotted up sedan)...

HSVs are "cheaper" also due to mass production. THink about it. Honda has to make each part of the s2000 FOR The s2000... half the HSV is prolly outta the commonwhore parts bin, mass production = savings in cost so u cant really compare

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Ghost has said it in one, mass production and nearly all parts on a HSV not being as good a quality.

Also Honda is aware of the market the S2000 is catered for, honda will more then likley never produce such a car as the S2000 again as they have not profited as much from it as they had hoped as even Honda is swinging away from producing the cars we love to cars that are more profitable for them thats why nearly every new Honda no longer has double wishbone front and rear along with a thousand other changes.

The S2000 has one of the most efficent and Pwr per Ltr engines ever created, placed just forward of centre for great balance with Double wishbone all round.

I could go on forever about it and another thing to consider, look at the 2nd hand price of S2k's compared with any HSV and you'll see another massive difference between the 2.

At the end of the day its what your into, HSV's are still pre historic in many ways although a nice car, where S2K's can be made into one of the greatest all round cars with little work.

Slaz.

cant really compare s2000 with HSV, different class and build quality.. nuff said

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    why an S2K? simply comes down to the type of person you are, some people prefer a sexy convertible and the sense of freedom it offers over a fuel guzzling HSV. Even for second hand S2K which is still priced within the 35-40k range for the 99-00 models, with that amount of money you can buy other great sports cars like the S15 for example. When i was looking around to purchase an S2000 i had considered buying a S15 and the reasons why i chose S2K over s15 is that a) not many s2000's around b)convertible c)possibly more reliable

just all comes down to personal preference and what u like

Member Array
    Car:
    2002 DC5R
    on paper hsv's would always look better but having owned a commodore for the past two and a half years and now owing a dc5r i can tell you there is a vast difference in build quality and general engineering.
    suspension on a hsv is exactly the same design as on an executive bar stiffer spring and damper rates sway bars etc, engines are noisy and not exactly what youd call fuel efficient, and the number of gen3 v8 that blew them selves up is quite astonishing.
    yeah the hsv will probably be faster in a straight line but as soon as you have to turn the steering wheel the s2000 would cane the hsv.
    personally i would NEVER buy a commodore again after owning the honda.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by aimre
    Hey all,
    friend and i were having a discussion tonight.
    we were wondering where does the $70k go when u buy a S2000.

Why wouldnt someone buy a HSV with almost 300kw and 530nm tourqe for $61k.

From what the official website tells us, the HSV looks better on paper.
    So, what actually makes the S2000 worth the $70,000?

*NOTE: Before Flaming, were not saying ones better than the other..... were just looking to be more....informed.

thanks
    Your comparing completely different cars here in every area, except that they are both internal combustion cars and 4 wheels
    Back to your question, reason the s2000 is that price is because its the best convertible in its class and even better than many other cars above its class.
    -Fastest convertible roof
    -Most powerfull 2L in the world
    -And prety sure the fastest 2L N/A

When comparing 2 cars like that, you really cant, because they are just so different. And really just depends on what you want.

Array
    Car:
    Disco Potato
    its like sayin why would u pay $12,000 for an AE86 which is 20 somethin year old car when u can get a relatively decent 180SX or somethin thats faster, etc
    comparin 2 diff cars but as above example, all comes down to personal preference, taste, and what u want out of ur car
    Fast and furious? I drive slow and luxurious...

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9+E36 318 iS Sport
    yes it's like askin why anyone would pat 70/80K for a 3-series when you can get an STi/Evo. 70K for the wind in your hair...

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    Quote Originally Posted by djgarv
    yes it's like askin why anyone would pat 70/80K for a 3-series when you can get an STi/Evo. 70K for the wind in your hair...
    or asking.. why does someone pay a few hundred thousand for a ferrari.. when they can spend less than half of that and get an eg hybrid boosted off its balls which'll make more power..
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.