Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's

DIY Crank Pully Bolt Remove

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Get that f@%king tight bolt off

Required: Air Compressor, Decent Air Impact Gun, ( or an Electric Impact Gun ). 17 or 19mm socket, 1/2 inch Breaker bar, Big ass bar.

There is no pics for this DIY, just a video. I felt you cant describe this in pictures.

This Method is based on you having Air Tools. If you find your self in you back yard with a cheep tool kit, dont bother, your just going to break a lot of tools. you need a compressor and an Air Impact ( Rattle ) Gun.

Click Here for the Video 2.8Mb

Steps: 1 support the engine from the sump with a Jack, undo the top engine mount to allow the engine to be lowered so you can access the pulley.

Step: 2 remove the splash guard to gain access to the pulley.

Step: 3 first try to undo the crank bolt from with the rattle gun, you never know you might get lucky. you will soon find out that it tight.

Step: 4 place your socket on the breaker bar, place the socket and bar on the crank pulley, turn the engine anti clockwise till you hit compression stroke, stop turning when your fighting the compression. ( make sure your spark plugs are in. )

Step: 5 Allow your bar to swing ( ) downwards. make sure you have clear area around the low hanging swinging bar.

Step: 6 Using your jack handle or a piece of pipe, take a fair swing at your breaker bar. make sure the bar doesn't go air born. it may fall off, but it should just fall on the ground. BE CAREFUL HERE

Step: 7 Now use your rattle gun to try and undo the bolt. I sometimes wait till my compressor has finished compressing, as this is when I have the most power at my finger tips.

the bolt should now just come undone with the rattle gun. if it does not, repeat steps 6 and 7 till it does.

I have used this method for over 10 years and I am still using my original breaker bar, Im not suggesting your breaker bar will not get damaged, but you don't need to whack the phyuck out of it. still be prepared to brake a tool.

just a quick note. Honda C series engines turn clockwise, so you can jam your breaker bar on the pulley and on a suspension component, and crank the car over ( so it wont fire up - REMOVE THE LEADS ) the breaker bar hits the suspension bits and stops there, the engine keeps turning and the bolt comes loose. DO NOT DO THIS on a NSX, as you could damage the aluminium bits and pieces around. just use the correct tool to lock the pulley and undo the nut.

Click Here for the Video 2.8Mb

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 07-05-2014 at 05:35 PM.

noice video John

Im thinking to attempt to remove my crank bolt with my new little electric impact wrench for fun ! ( its rated at 200nm...im sure it will make a dent in it atleast -)

BTW in theory , cant you keep the rattle gun on the bolt and this impact will loosen it off eventually ? OR will the gun burnt out etc ?

Car:
    twin GX160's
    hmm electric one might burn out,

with an air gun, you can do it all day, but adventually it will break

if the gun cant do it while the compressor is fully charged in 1 min of rattling, I dont think its going to budge.

I try for 10 to 20 sec, then get the bar out
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 13-11-2005 at 09:52 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    great write up john

i love step 6

just watched the video

so u basically smacked the breaker bar to loosen the bolt then use the air gun to get the bolt off

would it still be possible to get it off with the wrench?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    what about putting it back on.
    And when jacking up under the sump its a good idea to put something like a plank of wood on the jack to protect the sump (for people who dont know)

Car:
    twin GX160's
    ok
    you dont loosen by whacking, it cracks the thread, the gun loosens it. fat chance with a wrench.

a jack will not damage a sump, the weight of the motor wont damage the sump. you can put wood if you want, I find with my jack wood is fiddly and makes the sump slip on the jack. as long as you dont try to lift weight with the jack from under the sump you will be fine, the weight of the engine is about the most you want to jack up from under there. I have never damaged a sump this way.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic VTi-R
    Very nicely done video. Very concise and straightforward.

Thanks for going to the effort to put this together for us. Much appreciated.

(Tech feedback left for you too. )

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Awesome writeup again John

+PQ points for you!

So when doing it up.....you just torque it upto spec (120NM was it?)
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Car:
    twin GX160's
    doing it up is also a problem Wyn, coz if you dont have the crank pully lock tool, you can use a torque wrench, I just lube the thread of the bolt with oil, and the inside of the pully just lightly with oil, then use my air rattle gun to do it up. never had one come off.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    Quote Originally Posted by VTi-R Civic
    Very nicely done video. Very concise and straightforward.

Thanks for going to the effort to put this together for us. Much appreciated.

(Tech feedback left for you too. )
    no problmes dude, this is why we have this section

will the special key still stay ontop of the crank side once you rattle the bolt off ? Or is there a small chance of it falling out into the lower guts of the engine there ? What about when re-installing ?